32

Santiago

I had tried to become more fond of the baby with each day but it just simply wasn't working. Adora seemed to be getting worse with each day, and I found it to be an instinct to dislike anything that hurt her like this baby was.

"Thank you," she said, "for washing my hair for me."

"Yeah," I said, lathering her hair up in conditioner, "I'm not sure how this is going to end up though, I'm not very good at this."

She just smiled and rested her hand on my thigh. "You're doing perfect."

I just looked down at her stomach, furrowing my brows together.

How could such a tiny human hurt someone so bad?

"Hey, you're coming around yeah?" She asked.

I just sighed and flexed my jaw muscle. "I don't really want to talk about it."

"Santiago," she said, "I don't know how many times I have to re-iterate that it's not the baby's fault."

"Obviously a lot more than you already have," I said, nodding, "because somehow, I still don't believe you."

I rinsed her hair out, grabbing her hand to help her lean up. She closed her eyes and gulped, bracing her hands on her thighs. "Give me a second."

I just stood up and grabbed a towel, shaking my head. "This is what I'm talking about. You can't even lean up without hurting."

She just looked up at me, grabbing the towel from my hands. "Can you at least lighten up for the gender reveal tomorrow?"

I pulled her up off of the ground and wrapped her hair up in the towel, making her lean against the counter, her breath short.

She looked at me through the mirror and sighed. I could see the look of defeat on her face, and I hated seeing that.

"Don't look at me like that," I said, shaking my head.

"Santiago, you're supposed to like our child," she said, "we created that."

"I'm aware, and it makes me feel even worse than I did before," I said, "thinking that I did that to you-"

"Hey," she said, shaking her head, "stop trying to find someone to blame it on. Blame it on my weak pelvis."

I just closed my eyes and shook my head.

"I was trying to lighten up the situation," she said, biting down on her bottom lip.

"Come on," I said, making sure to be the amount of support she needed, "let's go downstairs."

She nodded and cleared her throat, holding onto my arm tightly. "Hey, can you help me change out of this?"

I walked her over to the bed and made sure to help her sit down as easily as I could, making her let out a breath.

I walked into the closet and grabbed one of her comfortable dresses, walking back over to the bed.

"I really feel like a whole failure," she said, as I pulled her shirt over her head, "you know, not being able to do anything alone."

"It's not your fault, baby," I said, shaking my head.

I helped her stand up and I helped her put her dress on, making her sigh. "That was tiring enough."

I just cracked a small smile, looking down at her.

She patted my abdomen. "Since the baby wants to eat all of my food, I think it's time to cook again."

~*~