12

a week later

Adora

Santiago and I had been unbelievably busy for the past week. With my company growing more than ever and his doing the same, we were skyrocketing in business.

It was nice, creating an empire.

But with skyrocketing in business and creating an empire meant very little free time.

Santiago's business was rapidly becoming a billion dollar business, and I couldn't have been more proud of him.

But it was very apparent that Santiago and I had began living separate lives within the past week. We barely even had time to ask how the other was doing, let alone anything more.

Santiago had been swarmed with reporters and press since the news got out that his business was at an all time high- everyone wanted every little detail of how exactly he did it.

He also had a habit of becoming unbothered when he got swamped with work. Every feeling or sliver of sympathy in him got pushed off of the table and saved for another time.

"Mrs. King?"

I darted my eyes up at my employee standing at my desk. "Y-yes?"

"You okay?" He asked, chuckling as he sat down.

"Oh, yeah," I said, "just in a daze, that's all."

"Where's Mr. King?" He asked.

"Very swamped with work," I said, smiling as I put a packet away in my desk.

"Right, I've heard you two are pretty much the best power couple Seattle has seen in decades."

I just smiled a weak smile, clearing my throat. "What's up?"

"I was actually going to ask you if I could have tomorrow off," he said, a worried look on his face as his eyes bored into my own.

I just furrowed my brows together, sighing as I looked down. "A-Al, you're one of my best editors, I need you on deck."

"I know," he said, "hopefully you can understand, I know Mr. King has kids."

I just sighed, looking at him.

"It's a big appointment," he said, "we get to find out the gender of our baby tomorrow."

My jaw dropped and I just let out a breath. "Al, why didn't you just say so? Of course, you have the day off, by all means."

"Thank you so much," he said, laughing.

"Congratulations," I said, standing up as I wrapped my arms around his neck, "why didn't you tell me before?"

"I didn't know how to just broadcast the fact that my girl's pregnant, I didn't know if you were traditional about things or what."

I just pulled away from him with a laugh. "Not even close. Ah, do you want it to be a girl or boy?"

"I'll love whatever it is," he said, "I'm ready for it to just come on out."

"I know you are," I said, "God, you're going to be a great dad, Al. I'll throw you a baby shower when I get a free few hours."

He laughed. "Thanks, Mrs. King."

"Alright," I said, nodding, "you should probably get back upstairs and get a head start on tomorrow's work so you're not too far behind."

He just nodded and jogged up the spiral staircase, making me smile.

Truthfully, this marriage had started out as Santiago with the baby fever but the tables were rapidly turning.