Bitter sweet...isn't it ironic

Thank you all so much for your votes and comments. I really appreciate them and they keep me motivated to write. Kisses to all of you 😘 😍

The rain brings with it a few more floods and the camp is hit by a cholera epidemic. Our zone is affected but not to the extent of what Zone 2 endured. Three children in Zone 2 were lost to cholera and a lot of people had to be treated at the hospitals as the clinics could not handle the influx of the sick anymore. By the time the cholera reached our Zone, we were more prepared. We didn't lose any lives, but we had a few people getting sick. Nora's 13 year old sister managed to contract the disease from somewhere and that was the closest we got to being in contact with the disease. We spend our little hard earned money buying cleaning products. We wiped and washed everything that we owned.

Mum and Nora have become especially pedantic about everything I eat or do for fear that I could lose the baby. I was ok with this at first but I soon grew tired of being treated like my little brother Junior. My household duties have now been reduced to almost nothing, which I am grateful for to an extent because my back aches if I lift heavy things. Even Edmond has banned me from lifting heavy boxes at work. He has been nice enough to even find a pillow to help me support my back. Sometimes I feel like an invalid.

The cholera outbreak brought in more NGOs, more hospital supplies and food for us. We received more food that we have since we arrived in this camp. We even received a bag of charcoal. I don't know how long this will last us but at least mum doesn't have to go in search of, or buy firewood for a while. The German Red Cross Society also distributed mineral water, mosquito nets, soap and a number of bales of clothes to the camps. We now have an ambulance to ferry refugees to health facilities outside the camp.

The increase in the number of malaria and cholera cases have prompted the Red Cross medical department to begin health education campaigns covering environmental hygiene and malaria prevention. Because of everything that's going on, Nora has been asked to work at the hospital 4 days of the week. She cleans in the morning and packs, and unpacks the medical supplies that the clinic receives.

Water supplies to our zone has been increased. We now have another water tanker, also supplied by the Red Cross. Having 2 water tankers in out zone means we can have more water and not worry about restrictions. We do not have running water or boreholes yet so the tankers bring water twice a day. This is improving people's hygiene as water is now readily available. Garbage sites have also been fenced off to keep garbage from spreading to the living quarters.

A lot of religious people that have arrived have been involved in counselling and are volunteering in the clinics and some in the schools. This influx of help has also increased my work. Most of the times Edmond takes one car in the morning to collect our visitors and I go and meet the late afternoon visitors. When they have meetings we are rostered to interpret in those meetings or presentations. The team of interpreters consist of 8 members most of whom have been doing this job for a long time. I am the newest member of the team, and because of my grasp of English and that I speak at least 3 more local languages fluently, I have been requested to do more work and this has been causing tensions in our team. I am the youngest, the newest and yet I'm getting the most work. I know the reasons why and yet some of my team members choose to believe that it is because I am sleeping my way to more shifts. Other people have even started saying that this is an ongoing thing with me, hence the fatherless pregnancy. Rumours start flying around and it's like being in the village all over again. I know the truth and the people who matter in my life know the truth. I will not leave my job because of this.

To make matters worse, Edmond comes in on Monday and gives me a mobile phone. I am ready to decline the gift until he says, it's not a gift but a work necessity. It's a company phone and when I leave my job, I'll need to leave the phone as well. Well now that he says it, it makes it easier to take the phone. Apparently everyone who does the airport pickups and drop offs needs a phone.