Chapter 56: Knox pursues Maya

Knox got everything sorted for Aiden's tests. He even got us to the doctor's surgery and took us to lunch.

Ari comes into our office and requests that I take half a day off. Mel did not even blink an eye, she just said that was ok. She took me to a few boutiques around the city. She buys a few things for herself and forces me to try on a few clothes. There are some that I like but I know I can't afford them so I decide not to try anymore clothes. Ari did offer to buy me something just as a thank you, but I vehemently refuse. I hate feeling indebted to people.

Ari pouts every time I refuse her offer and I start to feel guilty. All she wanted was to buy me a stupid dress, I could have just said thank you but my pride beat my guilt.

By the time we finish shopping, she has offered to buy me every expensive thing I look at or admire. Jewellery, expensive jewellery and shoes. It seems all the places we visited don't stock anything in my price range. I peruse the shelves a couple of times and start to feel out of place.

Once we finish shopping and go to my place Ari suddenly perks up which confuse the heck out of me.

"Hey Maya, since you said no to everything I tried to buy you, would you accept a gift that I'm not buying." She asked.

"Of course. Look I'm really sorry that I couldn't let you buy me anything. Everything we saw was just too expensive. I wouldn't feel right letting you spend so much on just one thing, just for me. I hope you understand." I say trying to ease my guilt.

"I'll understand and I will only forgive you if you don't say no to my gift that I brought you." She says opening her car boot.

"Sure...." I say feeling anxious.

"Good, because I have all these clothes that I have and would like to give them to you. They are not new and some I have won once others not at all. I don't think I will be wearing them anymore and since we're the same size I would be happy knowing someone is getting use out of them." She says looking at me up and down, gaging my reaction and checking my size.

"Umm, Ari where am I going to wear these clothes. They all seem to be for formal events. I will only need maybe one dress for the wedding but I don't think I can use all these." I say looking through the luggage bag that Ari has brought.

"Don't worry, there are a few casual clothes in there as well as a couple of pairs of shoes. Hopefully you'll fit. Also you cannot give a gift back. I'll be offended. If you don't want to use the clothes, you can give them away." She says pushing the bag to me.

"Oh, ok. Thank you for all these clothes." I say getting a little excited about trying them on.

"No problems, you should've just said yes to one dress in the shop and I wouldn't have forced these ones on you." she responds with a smile and slightly bumps my shoulders.

"So that was your plan. You knew I would say no to all those dresses and I'd feel guilty about saying no to these ones as well." It finally makes sense.

"Yep and no. I would have loved to buy you a dress but I was aware you'd most likely refuse so this was my fall back plan." She says giddily. She got me there.

We both go into the unit and go through the most amazing clothes I've ever seen. There is at least six gowns and a few casual skirts and skinny jeans. I also see two pairs of shoes and they are brand new. I don't think she has won the shoes at all.

In the end she helps me choose a dress for the wedding and we narrow them down to two. A red strapless one and a silver and nude one.

By the time she leaves, I feel like I have made a friend in Ari. She is nice and down to earth. A little bossy but still great company.