Chapter 42: A second chance at life

A surprise chapter because I received a number of votes and comments.

This chapter is dedicated to you, my favourite reader. Thank you for reading this far and for loving my story.

I make it to Malcolm Gower's office with at least twenty minutes to spare. I managed to leave home early just in case I got lost. As it is, I didn't get lost, not once. I told you Ann's directions were very clear.

Mr. Gower's office is on the ground floor of a very big modern building. The reception is a very modern and sleek room with a number of plants and very colourful wall paintings embellishing the rather plain white walls. It looks like it is just glass walls but when I was outside I could not see in at all and yet now, when I look through the window I can see everything.

I tell the receptionist the purpose of my visit and she tells me to take a seat as I am too early and Mr. Gower is out at a meeting. The lovely receptionist offers me something to drink but I am too nervous and I don't think my shaking hands can be trusted to hold a glass without spilling the contents. I decide to spare myself the embarrassment and pretend I am ok, even though I am quite thirsty.

As I am waiting a well-dressed gentleman walks in. He is dressed immaculately in a suit and he is quite dashing. I think he is in his mid to late 40's. I don't know he could be more or less. The receptionist says something to him and they both look at me. I am starting to feel self-conscious and even more nervous now so I give them both a lopsided smile.

The gentleman quickly strides my way and offers his hand for a handshake. I quickly shake his hand hoping I don't have sweaty palms.

"Hi, you must be Maya, I am Malcolm and I am the managing director of this institution, it's good to finally meet you. Please follow me." He says walking to a door and opening it.

"Please come in and take a seat." He says pointing to a seat opposite where he is taking his own.

Wow, this is an opulent room. There is a large dark mahogany desk and a rather comfy looking chair in front of it. There is a big bookshelf full of books that look like important stuff. A state of the art computer and a desk phone gracing the desk. Malcolm sits on the comfy chair and pulls out his laptop and cell phone and places them on the desk. How many computers does he need?

We sat there and talked about my trip to America and how I am finding things so far. We talked about Edmond and how they know each other. Once Malcolm is convinced I am now feeling comfortable he gets into business.

"Ok, Edmond has spoken highly of you and the work that you have been doing. He has asked me to get you admitted into our college." He says picking a prospectus book and some flyers and he hands them to me.

"Do you know what we do here? Did Edmond tell you anything about us?" I shake my head no, and he continues to talk.

"Basically what we offer are hospitality and tourism programs with intensive training. We cover a variety of subjects and provide a special emphasis on customer service, something that many students find to be an invaluable part of their training.

Through internships or work experience, you will gain invaluable practical experience in your chosen field. Internships are an ideal way for you to develop your customer service skills and learn to handle unique situations.

Our programs integrate both academic site visits and internships into the curriculum. Along with learning the business aspects of hospitality management, you will gain the perspective of your future customers.

Normally you would study for one year before you start your internship. Once you successfully complete your internship, you will be awarded with a Diploma. Students have a choice of exiting with a Diploma or continue to a bachelor degree with our partner colleges. We have a number of partner colleges around California and other states but we are based here." He pauses and looks at me.

"Is that clear so far. Feel free to ask anything at any time." He smiles and I can see a dimple. I grin back. He is so handsome.

"So with the internships, do we have to pay anything or do we get paid at all." I ask in embarrassment.

"Yes all the companies we are affiliated with pay their interns, however the pay is not uniform. The minimum pay is $13.60 per hour. The higher your level of education, the more you will be getting paid." He waits for me to continue. I shake my head to show I am done at the moment.

"Now, from what I have gathered from Edmond, your work seems to be quite ahead of our beginners classes. Edmond said you were responsible for coordinating a lot of agents and that you were doing some accounting work. I had a look at the reference letter he sent me last night and I have decided that we will definitely give you almost a year's worth of credit towards your studies. There are some courses that you will still need to take, but I doubt sending you into an Accounting for Beginner's class will help you in any way.

In about a month, the placement officer will contact you so that you can start your internship with the other students at the same level as you. The internship will last at least three months and we expect to uphold our reputation as the best internship providers in the country.

I have arranged for Lara, one of our senior students to show you around the campus and help you with any questions you may have. If you wait for her in the reception she will be with you in a short while." Malcolm says getting up.

"Welcome Maya and I can't wait to see you work in the industry. Good luck with your studies."

"Thank you." I say getting up and heading for the door.

****************

The classes went OK. Some are too easy and others are a bit harder and I need to concentrate more on these.  My first assignment grades were not too bad at all and I was so proud that I passed them. My brother on the other hand is struggling with his school that mum is thinking of pulling him back a grade. He can't understand the accent and the curriculum is very different to what he was learning in the camp.

Before long I receive and email from the Placement Officer asking for a meeting. I knew this was coming as a few of my classmates had talked about it during lunch and they were excited.

The meeting doesn't take long. Basically I am advised that I will be starting my internship next week with the Peruglia Resort. I don't even know where this place is and the Placement Officer is not very good at giving out helpful information. I decide that during lunch tomorrow I will do an internet search and then ask Ann about the place and where it is located. I just hope it is not located too far from home.

I start to make a mental note of what kind of clothes I will need and once again, I will have to ask Ann to help me. I haven't made any close friendships yet and so I am not comfortable asking my classmates to help me shop.

Ann once again comes to my rescue and seems more excited about the shopping trip than I am. She mentions that people my age should be excited about shopping more than people like her, considering she is in her later 30's and I am in my early 20's.

Tomorrow I start my paid internship with Peruglia. I found out it's not a bad resort, but it's not the best either. Things have not been going so well for the hotel. They have recently changed management, specifically the person who owned it died and left his two sons in charge. There is a lot of financial mismanagement and a number of employees are disgruntled and are leaving. But this is just a rumour at the moment.

This makes me worry that I will not get paid if the business is in financial trouble. If it wasn't for Ann, I wouldn't have found out these things. I thought that maybe the people at the college either didn't know or didn't care to notify us.

I decide I will wait to see if they pay me in the first week. If they don't, then I will let the school know, however if they do, I will just continue with work. All I need is the experience, I don't have to be involved with their politics or financial affairs until it starts to affect me.

I will go in, put my head down and work hard. I will make something of myself.

**********************

Yes I can see a lot of you smiling and clapping and hollering ..... You can see where this is going can't you?

Short chapter but I am sure you appreciate how it's clearing the path for other things.

Again, please vote and comment. Show me that you enjoy the book.