Chapter 44

Mila and ZH had finally made it to the lower levels where they would see a whole ton of stones of all kinds. Looking to the ground, Mila was reminded of when she first met Vivian.

[Who dares to awaken me from my long slumber?] The mine shook while Mila could hear the voice loud and clear. ZH obviously did not hear it, only Mila could hear such a voice from such a beast with no contract.

"Who are you?!" Mila called out with ZH looking over to Mila who was talking to no one or so he thought.

"Mila?" ZH looked around to see no one, but Mila took the chance and started running. "Mila?!" He ran after her which he then followed her into a cave that started to crumble. "Look out!"

Mila wasn't looking and turned to look up. She saw a few giant falling rocks above which she felt ZH pull her over to him and block her. Shutting her eyes, she waited and didn't see or feel anything. "ZH?" She said and opened to see that he was protecting her with his body. "ZH?! Are you okay?!" Mila got up but ZH remained laying down with a few rocks still on him.

"I can't get out. I'm stuck in the pile of rubble." ZH said with Mila looking over to see that he was indeed stuck in the pile of rubble.

"Vivian!" Mila called out with Vivian appearing out in her true form.

[Mila, what happened?!] Vivian noticed the pile of rubble and one of ZH's feet stuck in it.

"Can you try to move the rubble?" Mila wanted to get ZH out since they couldn't really do anything at the moment.

"Oh, isn't this perfect?" They looked behind them to see the governor standing there with a Two Tusk Fire Boar.

"Mila, get out of here!" ZH grumbled trying to get out of the rubble by himself.

"Maybe, I can have her be a sacrifice. They say that a ritual needs a sacrifice." The governor said with Mila knowing that her chances against a fire beast was slim. The thought of a ritual though has never been used for a long time and she didn't even know a ritual was required at all to get the dragon that he was seeking for.

"Vivian." Mila said, taking out her sword that she was going to use against him. Vivian turned facing the beast that they were going up against.

"That's a rare beast you got there. It looks like it holds a lot of mana as well. You wouldn't mind if I took her after, would you?" The governor gave her a grin.

'Vivian, I'll be asking for your help.' Mila held her sword getting prepared for the incoming battle.

[Understood.] Vivian had her butterfly wings spreading out more brightly from her back.

"Mila, just run!" Hearing ZH behind her, she looked down to him.

"Never run from a fight." Mila smiled while the governor's beast had charged at her.

"Vivian!" Mila saw the fire shot towards them while Vivian grew the roots blocking the flames while Mila charged forth. Knowing that the fire could easily rid the roots that grew by a plant beast. 'Without Emmett here, it makes it a real challenge for me.' She thought seeing fire then once again headed towards her.

Roots grown once again; Mila had tossed a dagger that managed to hurt the governor. Hearing the governor's scream, Mila was at least able to hit him. Hoping back down, they all felt the ground below them shake.

"What's going on?!" The governor and his beast were the first to fall down, but Mila saw Vivian and summoned her back not wanting her to get harmed.

Mila couldn't even scream once the rock ground crumbled below her. "Mila!!!!" She heard ZH calling her name while falling down. Closing her eyes once again, she didn't know how painful it was going to be.

***

Cotton had reached the mine with her cottontail very tense behind her. "Cotton, are they in there?" Emmett asked even though he knew none of them could communicate to her.

Cotton nodded multiple times and headed inside to follow the strong mana that she had just sensed. [Mila, please be okay!!!] Cotton didn't want to see Mila injured in any way. [I don't want to lose another friend or family!]

***

[Mila! Mila! Wake up! Wake up!] Hearing Vivian's voice, Mila felt her headache tremendously and looked to see that she had landed on top of ZH. Mila feeling her weak mana, she wasn't able to call out Vivian.

"ZH?! ZH?! Wake up! Please don't die!" Mila saw that ZH had used his body to shield her. He had blood coming from the back of his head making Mila shake in concern and sadness. She could hear herself sobbing and crying inside to see that he was always hurt the entire time that they had been together.

[Do you wish to save him?]

Mila gasped looking around to see piercing gold eyes looking at them both, but she knew to not waste any time. "Yes! I wish to save him!" Mila looked to the eyes with no fear but just a will to save ZH.

"You do not wish to possess my power and strength?" She heard him say and kept her same serious look to him.

"I do not. I rather save him than to possess a beast for more power." Mila spoke truthfully knowing that she would rather save ZH. Crying, she held onto ZH's hand to see how he had done so much to keep her out of harm's way.

[Do you really wish to not have me as one of your very own?] He asked once again.

"No, I only want to save him. Please, save him." Mila begged the beast who then appeared out allowing her to see his huge form. She had never seen such a huge dragon before, not even her father's dragon. Its body was completely made of crystals with its glowing golden eyes as crystals.

[Very well. I had to choose between you both. You both had very compatible mana that I couldn't choose who to be my master. Are you sure you won't regret this?] He turned to face Mila who nodded once.

"I never regret my choices." She said lastly with the dragon scoffing after and slowly being absorbed into ZH. Seeing the wound no longer on his head, Mila cried seeing him breathing more normally. "Thank goodness." She said and cried allowing their disguises to vanish. Seeing his face still with the mask covering his eyes since his mask could only be removed by his own hands. 'You get hurt with me. I don't want to see you hurt every time.' She made a decision there at that moment.

"Mila!" Mila heard Emmett being glad that they were found. Taking ZH to the closest inn while they had Thelma see his wound, but the governor who tried to find the 'Dragon's Eye' was killed by the fall with rubble crushing him.