Volume 2: Chapter 62

Two years later...

"How are the details about the military and troops?" The emperor of the Mireraweth kingdom sat on his throne nervous about the upcoming war that he had been ignoring for some time. Knowing that they were in a more disadvantaged state with the last war that took more than what they had expected with his son being the only one that they wanted to avoid sending to the war.

"It has all been prepared. So far, we have settled it for now. We are waiting for one who will lead the troops." Duke Reynard announced with everyone unsure which son would go into battle since the Mireraweth emperor refused to send his son again since the Mireraweth Kingdom still needed a Emperor to rule.

'Hm, we still need the sole heir for the dukes since there are still many who are quite gifted. We cannot afford to lose the best gifted sons who can take over for their father to handle the Mireraweth kingdom. It will either be Duke Reynard's second son or Duke Garrick's second son who will go to my son's place.' The emperor didn't know which child would be chosen since it was not only his choice or decision to make. 'Duke Reynard's second son is nineteen while Duke Garrick's is sixteen. Which one is more reliable?' The emperor didn't know which to decide between the two since they were not very gifted like the rest of the duke's children. "We will place a vote between two sons of the duke household. It will either be the second son of the Noble household or the second son of the Graves household." He announced with every official in the room to choose wisely about which son would go.

The emperor had everyone vote between the two which took at most three hours to decide since everyone in the room knew that both choices were not very special. Collecting the papers, everyone waited for the vote to come in with results that they would expect. They had finally settled the scores for which son would go out to the battlefield when the votes were counted. "Between the two households, Duke Garrick's second son will lead the troop!"

It had shocked the people to think that they would send out a disfigured man to the battlefield. "Very well. We will no longer continue." The emperor left thinking that they would once again handle the war like it was nothing to be worried or afraid of. 'I wonder why they would all vote for the second son of Duke Garrick when he is disfigured and mute.' The emperor did not know if this was all planned out by the officials ahead of time, but he did not want to care or worry too much about it.

Prince Leroy had barged into his father's room who did not think that his son would find out so soon about the choice they made. "Father, are you not going to send me to war again?!" Prince Leroy couldn't believe that his father wanted to let another young fellow go when they had no experience and had no powerful authority over the soldiers that served under him. He had rushed to meet his father once he heard about remaining in the kingdom like a weak prince which he felt had affected his pride negatively.

"Leroy, we need a future emperor, and you are the only one that this kingdom has as an heir who can take over for me. We cannot lose you in this war this time. That is why we have other sons of dukes to go in your steed and handle the troublesome matters that are pointless." The emperor couldn't believe how much his son would rather go to war than to think of the outcome if things failed in the end.

"Father! This is just absurd! You are making me cower away is letting the peo-"

"You will stay here no matter what!" His father had shouted back to his son who he would not let go no matter what, his father even increased the number of guards to keep an eye on him to make sure he did not leave behind his back.

Prince Leroy couldn't believe that he had to stay within the walls of the kingdom while his troops and men all went to war without him. "Leroy, you don't need to worry about the war. You only need to worry about your wife right now. Lana will be going into labor soon." His mother came up to him, making sure that he did not forget that he was going to be a father soon.