Chapter 52

"The beasts used to come all the time, but as time went on. They just stopped coming with how poor this place is now. No one even takes care of it anymore. I come once and a while, but I barely have any time to clean it by myself. Some people who come here fear that they would be killed or hunted by the Mana Hunters that have grown in numbers." Aiken rubbed his head just thinking about it.

"Mana Hunter? I've heard of them once. Tell me more." Mila wanted to know why the Mana Hunters were harming beasts of all kinds and maybe even humans for mana.

"They prey on the beast and people that have been born with mana. Those who envy them would use all resorts to have the mana they have. Even beasts refuse to make a deal when they see one. They kill themselves to be used in that way." Aiken had been struggling to find the Mana Hunters who prey on those gifted or nobility with mana.

"Such a pity. The beasts do not wish to be easily used like they were an object. They are no different from a human." Mila felt anger with knowing how the hunters would do such a thing to beasts. The beasts who were calling out to her were likely in danger that time. Yet, she couldn't even do anything about it or find them. 'I'm such an idiot for just finding out about these hunters.' Mila held her hand in a fist with anger to think of her idiotic self.

"Hey! Don't do that!" Mila heard Aiken rush to her side and open her palm. She didn't even realize how hard she was holding her hand in a fist. It had started bleeding with just her nails digging into her skin. Aiken had taken out a small bandage wrap which he started wrapping onto her palm. "Why are you getting so worked up over this talk?" There was nothing but silence as he looked to see Mila's face covered with the mask. "You..."

Mila had tears rolling down even though there was a mask on. Her tears were still trailing down from her mask. 'This is stupid to cry! Yet, these beasts don't deserve such death.' Mila imagined the beast that would run or die by being hunted. The images of how scared they must've been being chased down.

"You cry for something like this... but it's good to know that someone like you still exists to cry for them." Aiken petted her head as he looked around and got up. Going around, Mila saw him getting flowers that had grown. "Here."

Mila just looked at the flowers that he had gathered. "What am I supposed to do with these?"

"They say that if you offer some flowers for those that pass away then they can feel your presence and maybe give you a word of comfort. You can't always believe me though. It's just what they tell children." Aiken said, smiling even though Mila couldn't see it.

Mila glanced once again at the flowers that he had handed to her. Taking a hold of it, she went over to the ruins as she laid flowers there. "I won't let harm come anymore to beasts that I cross upon. I want to make sure to get rid of the Mana Hunters." Mila had surprised Aiken once again to see her decision.

"How are you going to do that? They are like a huge group that holds great hatred towards the nobility and those gifted with mana. They use a certain stone to collect the mana."

"Then, it means that their mana is limited." Mila knew that no individual could be unlimited with mana.

"Yes, that's true." Aiken stood next to Mila who kept her face looking down at the flowers. He then looked down to see Mila was a bit pale. "Hey? Are you alright?" He knelt down but Mila was looking more unusual.

The moment Mila had spoken to Aiken. She heard the voices once more.

[Help us!]

[Help!]

[They won't stop taking our mana!]

[It hurts!]

Mila held her chest with how much it was giving her tremendous pressure with her heart racing quicker by the minute. Coughing out a small amount of blood soon after. "Hey!" Aiken had snapped her back to where she really was with the voices fading away. Mila was breathing heavily with sweat forming on her forehead. Wiping the blood off the side of her mouth. "You've been lost in your thoughts. You look like you just saw a ghost." Aiken didn't even see the blood that Mila quickly wiped away. Mila didn't know what that was all about, but it made her feel a bit fearful of what could be coming soon. A dark orange fire cage soon came towards them both while Aiken had created a shield with his mana around them. The fire had dispersed allowing both to see cloaked men surrounding them. "Mila, stay close." Aiken held his hand in front of Mila to make sure no one would aim or charge towards her.

"So, this is where the strong mana was." One said but they hid their faces and bodies to avoid being caught.

Mila held onto her sword, knowing that these men were likely the Mana Hunters. "You all finally came out of your burrows." Aiken could sense that they were bothered by what he said. "What made you all come out this far?"

"Our matters do not concern you. It would be best to hand that child over." The leader of the group had gone forth pointing at Mila.

'Me? What are they saying? There's no way that I have that much mana within me.' Mila pulled out her sword not wanting to back out when she had trained so much for this moment. 'They depend more on the mana that they steal rather than their own skills.' Mila could see how they were, but she couldn't judge them too early, yet.

"I don't think so. You would have to get past me before you lay your hand on this little lady." Aiken didn't think that they would actually want a child. 'Are they planning to get more people on their side? What is their goal?' Aiken was left with many questions, but he couldn't stand still. "Thorn!"

Appearing out was a Needle Skin Centipede, Mila watched seeing how huge it was. It dug into the soil that floated in the air and targeted back up to the group of hunters that were evading the rumble that crumbled below them.

'There has to be something I can do.' Mila looked around and saw the Mana Hunters were awfully going in different directions. She gasped to know what they were planning. Without a second though, she grabbed Aiken by the wrist as he didn't understand what Mila was doing.

"What are you doing?!" He didn't know why he didn't try to stop her, but they had jumped off the edge of the floating island. Just before they did, there was a huge symbol which was glowing where they last were. "Thorn! Come back!" Aiken had summoned his beast back while both were still falling down from the floating land they were just on.