Chapter 86

Duke Reynard had the both of them leave with the room locked once again, with no other allowed to enter without his approval. It had been quite some time since Mila saw Leo's mother's portrait, which she found rather amazing with how it was put in every detail about her and her personality of being gentle and kind. She didn't think that her father would allow her to see the room that was highly forbidden for almost everyone; even her stepmothers and half-siblings were not allowed to go in. 'Lady Grace was very beautiful. If she was still alive, would she have loved me just like her own daughter?' Mila didn't know if it was the right thought, but she wondered if Lady Grace would truly raise her like her own child when they held no blood relation with one another.

Her father finally gave up on her lessons in the end since she no longer wanted to commit to them with Lady Angela left with simple lessons given that were meant for a lady. She would just hang around all day, but she still found it boring most of her life. "There's nothing to do here!" Mila complained about lying in her bed, which she found very troubling for her state of mind. Sara giggled, looking to see how Mila was more of an adventurous child than to stay in one place all the time.

"I don't think it's boring; besides, we all get to keep an eye on you now. You're back at home, so it should be a safe place for you." Sara sighed, leaving Mila's room after she had cleaned up the entire room from each corner.

Emmett was outside her room; as usual, Mila found that life went back to normal in some ways. 'I need to get away from here. It's not boring for either of you since you are all doing something while I am just stuck here like a caterpillar in its cocoon.' Mila just left out of her window once again like she usually did, going down to the Mireraweth palace, which was the only place that held such fun topics and gossip. She was told that her father had gone to a meeting again in the palace that sparked her interest. 'The only place that is quite fun and interesting is the palace with confidential meetings and information.'

Hopping over the gates, she found it too easy to cross over even though the guards were on duty. Going to the same spot, she listened in on their meetings and little side conversations that emerged from the side.

"Your majesty, our soldiers have been greatly decreasing!"

"How are we going to win this war?! We've likely all chosen the wrong one to lead the troops!"

"In no time, we will all be killed if we don't hurry and send another one to lead!" One after another, the men gathered into the throne room were in grave threat from the entire war that was taking place.

Mila could tell that there was a huge issue going on with the men in the throne room all emitting a mixture of fear and anger. 'It's obvious that Ambrose has a hard time with trying to communicate! How can you send someone like him in the first place?! You all probably chose him to just get rid of him but in the end, you still caused great damage to your kingdom! It's called karma a**h*les!' Mila angrily had to keep her anger inside than explode out and alarm them all.

"Enough!" The emperor looked down to the people below him who he saw as overstepping their positions and powers when he was the ruler. "We will send another individual then!" The emperor stood up, seeing how they would not stop their yapping like a bunch of dogs. "We will send-"

"Your majesty?! Your majesty?!" Rushing into the throne room was a wounded soldier who was out of breath. Mila saw how he held a look as if he had just been from h*ll.

'I have a bad feeling about this.' Mila felt like her heart was going to shatter at that moment since it did not look like they were going to receive any good news.

"Why are you yelling for me?!" The emperor was already angry and stressed enough with every other person in the room who was going against him.

"Lord Ambrose has been assassinated with his burnt body found in his tent!" The soldier had shouted out for everyone in the throne room to hear about it with even a few servants on the outside hearing the news.