Chapter 28 : Mist

Hongjoong's POV

I carefully laid Jisoo down on her bed, trying my best not to wake her up. I pulled the blanket up and was about to leave when a hand grabbed my wrist to stop me.

I turned back and realised it was Jisoo's. "Don't leave..." she mumbled, her eyes still closed.

Letting out a small sigh, I removed my hand from her grip and tucked her hand under the blanket.

"I thought you won't come back again..." I turned back on my heels and tried not to get swayed by her words. "I tried to pretend to be okay, but why can't I? Why can't I behave like before when you're not in my life?..."

My eyes furrowed a little on hearing it. And a lot of questions started to run in my mind. Just then I came to recall what Yeonjoo once said to me.

—Flashback—

"Jisoo won't accept it, but she needs someone," Yeonjoo said. "...She has been pretending to be okay, always smiling and not showing her pain. She's good at pretending, but I know she isn't okay...She would often cry when she's alone, but won't show it."

—End of flashback—

"What scares me the most is that..." Jisoo continued, making me look back at her. "I might wake up one day and... You might not be a part of this world anymore." Her voice cracked and a tear managed to flow out from the corner of her eyes. "I'm so afraid of that..."

Even though she wasn't in her right state of mind, this time her words felt honest. I tried to hold back my tears, but gave in to them.

Now I finally realised what she really meant; she fears to lose someone precious to her.

***

Jisoo's POV

Where am I?...

I looked around and found myself standing in an unfamiliar road. It was so dark that I was hardly able to see anything. And in that place, I was all alone by myself.

My legs started to tremble as I took some steps forward on the fearful path full of a thick cloud of mist. It seemed like an endless desert from where you can't escape.

I wasn't able to know what to do. I had almost lost hope when a hand suddenly grabbed mine. And when I turned to see who it was, I realized it was none other than Hongjoong.

My heart felt relieved to see him by my side as his hand gave me the warmth I wanted. He smiled at me before leading me to where I didn't know.

I looked at our hands, clasped together and back at him as we kept walking till I could make out his facial features more clearly. I was finally able to see a faint light coming from the front.

He glanced at me and gave me an assuring smile as if telling me that it'll brighten up when the mist is gone without actually saying it.

We followed the bright light which grew brighter as we headed further. I put a hand in front of my eyes and adjusted my vision to the light. I could still feel his hand holding mine tightly as we came out of the mist.

When I looked around, it was no longer the place I saw earlier. It was now a clear road with many beautiful flowers in full bloom on both the sides. And the mist from where we came out was no longer visible.

I looked back at Hongjoong who still had the smile on his face which made me smile back at him, feeling relieved to get out of that scary place. But the smile which I had soon faded away when I noticed something.

The hand which was holding mine was starting to fade away. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks as I saw him slowly fading away into thin air. But he didn't look bothered at all as if he knew it'd eventually happen.

Don't disappear!...Please!...

I didn't want to let him go. I wanted to stop it, but just couldn't. I was helpless. And within a few moments, he fully disappeared.

I fell on the ground, crying hard. I regretted not telling him the things I wanted to. I regretted not telling him that I love him too.

I regret it...Hongjoong, please come back!...Please!...

To be continued...