Chapter 39 : Rewind

Hongjoong's POV

"When are you going to tell me?" Jisoo asked.

I looked at her in confusion. "About what?"

"About your hand." I looked down at my hand. "Today you asked me out on a date because you're going to disappear soon, isn't it?"

"So you knew about it..."

"Today morning I came to know from Seonghwa that your hand keeps getting translucent from time to time."

"I told him not to tell you about it."

"I checked Aurora too and realized the whole plot of the story has changed... And me getting hit by the car that day was not a dream either."

I sighed internally. "Mianhae...I didn't have the courage to tell you earlier."

"...What do we do now?" I looked at her and could tell that she was trying her best to hold back her tears. "It's just so hard for me to pretend I'm okay when it's killing me from inside. It's too difficult..."

She covered her face and sobbed when she couldn't hold back her tears anymore. That was the thing which I hated the most; I hated seeing her cry.

The thing which I feared the most, is finally coming true. And I can't do anything about it.

***

Jisoo's POV

I couldn't seem to stop crying so Hongjoong drove me back home. When we entered the living room, he held my shoulders and made me face him.

"It's okay if I disappear now. But you have to live your life well for me. Hm?" He weakly smiled, tears threatening to fall again.

"You said you would never leave me alone...You promised me that you won't ever say goodbye."

"Don't cry, Jisoo-ya..." He wiped my tears away with his thumb. "Today is the happiest day of my life. Because you were my beginning and my end... Thank you for everything." He pulled me into his arms and I buried my face in his chest, crying hard.

I've thought of it a hundred times; if Hongjoong isn't in my life anymore. Just because of my selfish self, I risked his life along with his real world. I should have found a way to make him go back earlier so that it wouldn't have been a mess like now.

How am I supposed to fix this mess now?...

Just then I remembered what I read in the book.

—Flashback—

"What do you mean, Seonghwa? Don't beat around the bush and tell in a way I can understand."

"Hongjoong's hand...It often gets translucent which means he's going to disappear soon."

"W-What?..."

"Unfortunately, yes. And the reason he asked you out on a date today is that today might be his last day in this world."

I stumbled back and plopped at the edge of the bed after hearing the bitter truth. I thought I knew Hongjoong well, but now I feel guilty of knowing nothing about him.

How could I not even get a hint about it till now?

"Hongjoong told me not to tell you, but I thought you should know about it."

He hung up the call and I covered my mouth as warm tears started to roll down my cheeks. I felt a lump in my throat as I wasn't able to think straight.

The thing which I feared the most, is finally coming true. And I can't do anything about it.

I rushed out of my room and went to the book shelves. Hongjoong was out so I was a little relieved for him not to see me in this state.

I pulled out a series of Aurora and went through all the pages, realizing that the whole plot got changed since Hongjoong came to this world.

Then a scene caught my attention in which Hongjoong was having a conversation with a mysterious white-clad giant I saw in the book for the first time.

"How can a new character suddenly form in the story?" I mumbled to myself before going through the scene. After a while, I realized why the plot of Aurora got changed and how can fix everything.

"You have two choices...If you want to be selfish and stay with your girlfriend till you disappear forever along with Aurora...Or take revenge and go back to your real world to save it from disappearing. Now it's all up to you... Remember that you only have a week till you fully disappear. So decide wisely."

That was what the white-clad giant had told him.

—End of flashback—

I pulled back from the hug and looked up at him, wiping away my tears. "Hongjoong-ah...If I was the one to bring you to this world, then I must be the one to make you go back to your real world too."

Seeing you disappear once was already too hard for me. I can't bear to let it happen again...I won't let you disappear... Never...

To be continued...