1.32

{ breathe }

{ breathe }

unedited

1.2k words

— — — — —

Everyone inside the cave was working silently but proficiently, doing their best to minimize the sounds made but also gather large pieces of the dried up biomass.

Although they had a small incident with someone dropping their metal bar, the creatures didn't care too much.

It was going well, really well.

Until something happened.

Will had brought his receiver into the cave, not thinking too much about it until it turned on. 

BEEP. BEEP. 

BEEP. BEEP.

Penny rushed Will to turn it off but they paused for a moment, realizing the beeping had meant that their father was alive. They hugged out of relief but the happiness died down when they realized the chaos that they just created. The creatures had climbed down from their burrows and flew down to kill.

"GET OUT! GET OUT NOW!" Victor screamed, as everyone dropped their metal bars and picked up the baskets of biomass and ran towards the exit. 

Vijay's mother ran up to Penny as she was at the exit, speaking in a panicked voice. "Have you seen Vijay or (y/n)?" 

Penny's face dropped. "No." She ran back into the cave, desperately searching for the two.

Penny was able to find and save Vijay but (y/n) was running around, trying to find the exit only for a hand to pulled her down to the ground. It was Angela and Hiroki but the latter was seriously injured. 

"Here. This'll support your arm for now." Pulling the sweater she had tucked on her waist, she used it as a sling to help support Hiroki's arm. The man nodded to her in thanks before their attention was directed to Penny and Vijay, standing and looking at the bat-like creatures in fear.

Angela pulled them down into their spot and shushed the,

"Shh. They're blind. They can only find you if they can hear you." She whispered.  

A few moments passed as some of the creatures made it back tot heir burrows while other lingered around. Angela took this as a good sign and mouthed her words.

"Let's go."

Penny looked at her strangely and gave Victor a look. "Is she crazy?"

Angela rolled her eyes and used her arm and fingers to word out what she was saying. "We walk very quietly. Step by step."

Penny copied her motions. "Sure. Then gross things fly down and eat us." 

Angela slapped her hands lightly. "You have a better idea?"