3.16

{ breathe }

{ breathe }

unedited

1.1k words

— — — — —

(y/n) shrugged her helmet off, breathing in the planet's air. 

"Make sure your devices are off, the robots got to be lurking around somewhere." Don reminded to girl, his focus on the tracking device on Debbie's leg. 

(y/n) nodded, turning her wrist device off. she looked at her reflection through her helmet and started to take off the bandage around her head.

"Is it healed?" Don let Debbie on the ground and walked closer, inspecting the side of (y/n)'s head.

"Yea, all healed." She let out a sigh of relief, looking around her.

It was a dark and gloomy place, fog filling the air with trees sprouting from the ground. The branches were thin and spiky, growing near each other to create the effect of a maze.

"Wait, where's Debbie?" 

(y/n) blinked at the man's words, looking around to see that there was no chicken in sight.

"Seems like she ran away from an overprotective father." She joked. 

Don gave a fake laugh. "Ha ha, very funny. Now come on, let's find her." He mentioned her to Debbie's foots prints as they began to follow the animal's trial.

The terrain was odd the deeper they traveled as the fog deepened and the amount of trees were beginning to increase.

"Debbie!" Don called out for her. A cluck was heard nearby. "Debbie?"

They turned into a small, cleared area to see the chicken plucking at the ground.

"There you are." (y/n) went up to the chicken and gently held her up, aware of how sensitive chickens could be at times.

"This is what I get for clipping you tag." Don complained at Debbie. "You get a little taste of freedom, first thing you do is abuse it." 

Don paused his rant when he noticed a squirming thing in Debbie's mouth. "What are you eating?" 

(y/n) moved the chicken in her hand so Debbie faced her. Her eyes widened when she saw what it was. "I think it's a worm."

Don panicked and walked over in disgust, gently pulling the worm out of Debbie's mouth. "Do not eat that." (y/n) carefully transferred Debbie in the man's arms. "Uh, that's gross. You peck my cheek with that mouth. You are making poor choices." 

The young teen laughed at the man, finding the entire situation funny. Don's eye twitched at the girl's behavior, taking a step towards her to find his foot stuck in a puddle.

"What the-" Don tried pulling it out but all his attempts failed. "Get off me." Don pulled his leg once again, losing his balance and letting go of Debbie. The chicken and the foot were free but it came out without the boot.

Another smile overtook (y/n)'s face when it dropped. Looking down at the boot, it was sinking down int to the puddle.

"Guess your gonna be walking on your sock for a while" (y/n) crouched near the puddle, watching until the boot was no longer seen.

"No! Hey, my boot!" Don cried out, only to panic eve more when he found his daughter roaming through the grounds. "Debbie! No, no, no! Do not go near those things. Do you hear me? Bad chicken."

(y/n) shook her head before going up to Don and lending him a hand. He took it, getting up and hobbling on right foot before giving up and stepping on the ground with his left. His sock now turning soggy and muddy.

The two chased Debbie down once more, but this time, she made a run for it. And it was a lot harder than one though to catch a chicken. 

"How can a chicken run so fast?" (y/n) questioned, panting from all the running involved.  

"Stop! Debbie, come here!" Don yelled after her. "I raised you better than this!"

The two carefully stepped and leaped over the puddles, eyes moving constantly moving from the ground to the red feathered animal.

"As your parent slash guardian, I am ordering you-" Don tripped and almost landed his face onto a bubbling trunk of green liquid. "You're gonna get us killed!"

"I am really starting to doubt your parenting skills Don." (y/n) told the man, spinning around to spot any movement. 

"I swear, if we make it out of here alive, you are grounded, young lady!"

A cluck was heard in a distance. This caused the two and split apart, each taking a side and carefully looking. 

Don laughed bitterly. "Daddy loves you." (y/n) gave him a side eye. "I got worms. You know, for you to eat."

"Don, are you okay?" The girl yelled in concern.

"Oh, I'm fine. Perfectly fine." The man waved her off. "Now. Debra Abigail West, I'm gonna count to three. One, two, two and a quarter, two and a half-"

Don stopped counting when he heard foot steps behind him. Heavy, metal footsteps.

Slowly turning around, he came face to face with one of the robots. Don stepped back, only to notice that there was a giant puddle behind him.  His legs shook in fear as he closed his eyes. "I'm sorry for the bad things I've done and the people I've hurt."

He prepared for the robot to charge up his hands and blast him, but it only used it's claw to emit a red light. The robot was scanning him. 

"What are you doing?" Don asked it, swiftly pulling out a pocket knife and looking it dead in the face. "Come on!"

The robot swung it's arm at him, causing him to fly a few feet away. (y/n) heard the commotion and turned to see the robot walking towards an unconscious Don. 

Without another thought, she sprinted to Don. Running up to him, she stood in front protectively and stretched her arms; stopping the possible chance of the robot hurting him.

The alien looked at the girl, tilting its head. It was a standoff between a human girl and an alien robot. Neither tore their eyes—or face in the robot's case—off of each other.

The girl's stance was confident, but that was only on the outside. But deep inside, she was terrified, having witness the strength of robot. (y/n) knew what capabilities the other alien robots had. 

It stared at the human girl, the dots in its face swirled. It's hard to determine what exactly it was feeling, but it most likely felt merciful as it turned around and walked away from the pair.

Once out of sight, (y/n) let out a shaky breath. She turned and dropped to her knees, shaking the still unconscious man. 

"Don!" She tried to wake him but was unsuccessful. Putting her fingers to his neck, she checked his pulse. It was steady and still strong.

(y/n) let out a sigh of relief when she heard a cluck beside her. 

Debbie was seen using her beak to nip at his toes, causing the girl to chuckle.

"Guess you do care for you father after all." 

𖨆