2.26

{ breathe }

{ breathe }

unedited

1.1k words

— — — — —

Robotwho was supposed to be inside the transportwalked out and roamed along the halls. 

He walked straight past Maureen and Smith as they followed him in confusion. He led the two to the room where the robots were frozen and pointed. 

"Danger." He said.

"Beside the obvious, what's dangerous about him?" Smith asked Maureen, referring to the robot in charge. Maureen looked from the robot's stature to the ground, where the claw of the robot was close to cutting the cables. 

"It moved. They've been moving this whole time. Just so slowly that we didn't notice." The woman crouched down and slowly took the cable out of the robot's reach. "He's trying to reach the power cables." The woman looked closer and saw that another robot was reaching for the cable as well. "Those wires connect the whole left quadrant to the main power hub. If it's cut, the robots are free."

Little did they know that another robot was near the bay door pad, clicking it to unlock the door.

"Cargo bay door opening. Proceed to a safe area."

Maureen and Smith jumped back in time before the door automatically closed. The Robinson jumped up and ran to her IPad. "The power's still holding but if they cut more of those wires, they're free."

Smith sighed and looked at robot. "I guess you can't go in there and fix it, can you?" The robot's faced turned into one big dot before walking back to the transport. 

Smith took this as a sign and began to suit up, while Maureen mumbled to herself while looking at the circuits. "Okay, I can redirect the current though the auxiliary circuits. Maybe I can, yeah. I can't do this from her, I need to do it on the inside." She was so distracted that Smith closed the door on her when she turned around. "Smith."

Smith took the blue ball on the bench and smiled at the woman. "I just have to move a wire, right? Don't need to be a brilliant scientist to do that." 

"The magnetic field wants to crush metal. Your suit is metal."

"I'll go fast." She smirked.

"You'll have a minute at the most, maybe two."

Her smirked dropped. "I'll go really fast." She opened the bay door and walked in, carefully stepping around the robots and avoiding their touch. 

"Why are you doing this?"

"Something the robot said." 

"Robot only says like five words."

"He only needed one. Family. My mother's dead. My sister hates me and for a good reason. You family is the closest thing I've got." Smith's breathing started to become more uneven and her eyes started to tear up. "This is gonna work, right? I move a wire, and your kids...will get away safe.""

"Yeah." 

"Then it'll all be worth it." A robot close to her was able to slightly scratch Smith's helmet. This plus the pressure caused her headaches.

"How are you doing? Smith?"

"I feel like my head's inside of an alarm clock." The woman dropped to the floor, and saw that multiple robots were about to cut the cables. "I hate to say this Maureen, but there's more than one wire." Her helmet glass began to crack. "At least I bough you a few more minutes. Use them well."

"Smith, just get out of there. Smith!" Maureen's communication with the woman turned static. Frustrated, she banged on the door and exited the room to the hall. She went towards to window and looked outside. But all she saw the top half of Smith's armor, broken with shattered glass. 

"Smith," Maureen softly whispered. "You surprised me again."

"All personal, please proceed to your Jupiter for evacuation." 

Maureen turned on her radio again and began to run. "John."

"Maureen, where the hell have you been?" 

"We have to launch now!"

"None of the Jupiters have been refueled." 

"The robots are breaking out in minutes!"

John immediately radioed his eldest daughter. "Judy?"

"Dad." She responded.

"Don't scare the kids. The robots are coming for you. Start the pre-launch."

Judy began to unbuckle her seatbelt. "Okay." She stood up and got the attention of Penny.

"What's wrong?"

"That was dad. We have to leave right away." Judy grabbed the PA system of the transport and began to speak. "Attention. Strap in or hold on as best as you can. Launch in T-minus five minutes." 

From the garage, Will and (y/n) were preparing for launch when the boy suddenly looked upwards. "Danger." (y/n) looked at him in confusion before turning to the other friend.

Robot seemed to have sensed it too as he turned and began to walk out of the garage. Will stood up and ran in front of him, stopping him in his tracks. "Hey, no. You can't go. The ship can't make it to Alpha Centauri without you." 

"No." Robot said.

"I mean it. You have to stay here. There's a bunch of kids who are counting on you. You need to look out for them, the way you always look out for me and (y/n)." 

Robot didn't move, making Will slightly smile. "I have to do this."

(y/n) walked closer to the boy and looked at him in concern. "Will, what are you talking about?"

He looked towards the girl as his face softened and his eyes practically grew into hearts. He didn't know why but at that very moment, he finally recognized his feelings for her. Maybe it was the fact that she looked at him in such concern and sincerity, or the fact that they were together thick and thin, or even how she knew how to fasten his heartbeat every time she was near. 

And though he was one to be oblivious to such feelings, he finally understood why his father would sacrifice the world for his mother. 

It was because he would do the same for her.

All of these feeling rushed through the boy as he gave her a smile. "Don't worry about me. Just stay and make sure robot's ready to open the fit." Without another word, he turned and began to climb up.

(y/n) watched as his figure disappeared and scoffed. "Like hell I will." She climbed after him to see him dodging through the kids. 

Penny seemed have also seen him too as she called out his name. "Will? Will, where are you going? We're trying to take off." 

"It's too late." The boy responded without a glance their way. Penny and (y/n) looked at each other, nodding, and following the boy out the transport. 

Running through multiple halls and making multiple turns, Will eventually stopped running when he came face to face with the robots. He put his hand up, causing the robots to stop in their tracks and look back to their leader. 

The silver robot stepped forward and did something that none of the kids expected. He said Will's name.

"Will Robinson." 

𖨆