2.08

{ breathe }

{ breathe }

unedited

1.1k words

— — — — —

Maureen walked out to the hallway in anger before calming down. She looked at her son and future daughter and her heart warmed.

When the kids noticed her presence, they stopped talking and turned their attention towards the woman. 

"How'd you know we were in the Jupiter?" Will asked his mother.

Maureen, who walked to the window, replied. "I didn't. Guess I was just as curious about what's going on in there as you were."

She walked towards the kids and sat beside Will.

"I'm sorry I didn't listen. I really thought I could do it. That I could connect with this robot too. That maybe, I could make a difference." (y/n) didn't comment but the small squeeze from her hand said enough. "But I guess you were right."

"You know, grandma used to get so mad at me for looking up at the stars. She just-She didn't see the sense in thinking about a place that you could never get to. You can't blame her because back then, it would've taken 81,000 years to get to the nearest one. But, here I am.

Because the thing is, it didn't matter what she said. Or if she was right. I was going to do whatever it took to get exactly to this very spot. Because I believed in my heart that it's what I was meant to do."

"So what do you think grandma would say if you could see her now?"

"Oh, she'd probably look at me with those eyes of her and say, "if you're up there, who watching the farm?""

The two softly laughed. "Yeah. So what do we do now? With no way to get that engine working, we're still stranded."

"You know all this time, I've been trying to get us to Alpha Centauri, I think I've been going about it the wrong way."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I've been trying to do it all by myself. Come on, there something I think you both need to see." 

The two kids looked at each in confusion before they got up and followed the woman to the engine room. Along the way, Will noticed that his hands were still intact with (y/n)'s so he dropped them and blushed.

"Sorry." The boy muttered. 

The girl smirked. "Don't worry, I liked the feeling of your hands on mine." The boy blushed harder as the girl mentally patted herself on the shoulder.

Once the reached the engine room, they were given clearance. And as they stepped inside, (y/n) gasped in awe.

"Pretty incredible, isn't it?" Maureen smiled.