40: 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝐺𝑢𝑎𝑟𝑑𝑖𝑎𝑛

Water splashed up from puddles under Kira's skateboard. She hadn't expected it to rain this morning, especially not in the middle of her short journey to school. Sure she could have turned back home and grabbed an umbrella or a rain jacket. But she was already halfway there. And then she'd be just as wet, she also only had one uniform.

So she embraced it. She didn't see Bakugou on her way there like she normally did. Which meant he either came early or his mom dropped him off. Kira got to the front gate as several cars stopped at the gate to let their kids out. Lucky ducks.

Kira zoomed past them on her board, doing random kick flips like she wasn't in a downpour with her mascara running down her cheeks.

"Is she insane?!"

"Ew her skateboard got water on my skirt!"

"Why is that actually iconic though?"

Kira kicked her board into the bushes like usual, she would be able to tell if someone around her looking at the hiding spot would take it later. But no one around seemed interested.

She stood under the roof of the school wringing out her skirt before walking in. She would take off her blazer, but her undershirt was just as wet. And she didn't want the wet white fabric to cling to her skin.

She walked down the hall, she was just gonna stick her head in and tell Aizawa what was going on and pray to high heaven that they had something for her to change into. She knocked on the closed door, so she was late and soaking wet. Which wasn't the best look.

The door slid open but it wasn't Aizawa who opened it. "Sup class rep." Kira gave Iida a casual nod. "Where's Teach?"

"Oh dear she's soaking wet."
"He went to go pick something up from the supply room." He said slowly, staring down a Kira. "You're... Wet." He stated.

Kira raised an eyebrow. "What an astute observation."

"Sorry!" A switch flipped and he was suddenly himself again. "Didn't you check the forecast?! You should have known it was going to rain!" He lectured her.

Kira waved him off. "Checking the weather app is for old people."

"That is a very irresponsible thing to say!"
He chopped his hands. "You can't come in here like that!"
"Why am I oddly attracted to her right now?"

"Yeah I know, that's why I wanted Mr Aizawa." She rolled her eyes and walked away towards the storage room. Leaving a blushing Iida behind her. God she hated her quirk sometimes. Actually a lot of the time. She wished she didn't know that Jirou crushed on her and that Iida found her attractive sometimes.

°.•.°•.°•.°

"Hey teach." Kira said, she found Aizawa in a random storage room.

"Kokoa..." He turned and stopped, taking in her soaked appearance. "Did you WALK here?" He asked with a frown. Kira could feel anger bubbling up.

"No, I skateboarded." Kira corrected. "I need a change of clothes." She asked, holding her arms. She was trying not to shake infront of him. Shivering would just make him even more mad.

"Of course you need a change of clothes."
"You need a change of guardian." He thought spitefully. "The man works here. Would it have been so horribly inconvenient to pick up HIS niece?"

"As much as I agree with you, I'm not gonna just stand here grumbling." Kira said. "I'm cold."

"Right." Aizawa said, nodding. "I'm sure we have something, I'm not sure how many extra uniforms we have just laying around." He looked in a few boxes. "Unless you want to just wear the gym teacher suit."

"It's not preferable. But I will." Kira shrugged.

Mr Aizawa pulled some items out of a few boxes. "I'll find something."

"I have to talk with him. I would do the same in any other situation. This is borderline negligence. I don't care who he is, he can't just keep on like this." Aizawa thought while going through boxes. "She should at least be actually living with him. Not shoved into some apartment by herself."

"Ugh. But I don't want to live with him." Kira whined. "I don't even like being around him." She admitted. "I'm okay with our arrangements."

"You're also a child Kira." Aizawa pointed out. "I understand it might be uncomfortable sometimes. But it's important you should he raised by someone. Guided. With some sort of authority in your home life."

"That's fair." She sighed. "Everytime were around each other its either awkward or we fight. He thinks I'm some fragile glass... Thing. He wants to shove me in a china cabinet so I don't get hurt but he also doesn't have to interact with me. And I can hear all of it." Kira ran a hand through her hair in frustration.

"I understand, but you can't just live alone in an apartment. I can't just let him treat you this way. If it were any other situation I would have already met with him." He admitted. "Him being my coworker makes things really difficult. Not to mention he's the Top hero. Would he even listen to me? He might pull her from school if I get too nosey, I have no clue how he'll react."

"Then maybe you should just let it be." Kira pleaded. "I'm fine, he's not hitting me or anything. He's a good guy, just not a parent."

"He's not a parent but he IS a legal guardian of a minor. He has responsibilities whether he likes it or not. Whether YOU like it or not." He rubbed his eyes. "Hell at this point I should adopt her."

"Aww, that's sweet." Kira said, catching onto the thought that just slipped into his head.

He waved her off. Knowing there was no point in denying he considered it. "That would be one hell of a legal battle. He probably has hundreds of lawyers at his disposal. And a lot of money."

"Yeah probably." Kira sighed. "You're right, about everything. As usual."

"Of course I am." He said casually frowning. "I guess this is all we have here." He pulled a box out. "It's all boys though. I Hope you don't mind. It's just for the day."

"It's fine." Kira took the box and set it on a table before going through it.

"Come to class when you're done." He started towards the door. "Did you do the assignment?"

"Course I did." Kira shrugged.

"Even without a parent she stays on task and does her work. She doesn't need reminders, she prepared her own food and cleans her own house. Since she was young, a kid shouldn't have to do that." He thought, leaving the room.

Kira stared at the clothes, biting her lip once he was gone. She thought about everything he said. He was right. It was unfair to her wasn't it? She never let herself think too much about it. Never let it all sink in.

While her classmates were driven home to their families. To meals they didn't have to prepare for themselves made from groceries they didn't have to go shopping for themselves. They got to sit at the table and talk about their days with their family. Hell even Todoroki had a older sister that was a mother figure for him. Even Bakugou's mom asked him about his day.

But Kira went to her apartment by herself. Heated up a microwave meal for one. Sat on the couch and watched meaningless TV shows all day. Never even having a conversation with anyone but herself. It was so fucking lonely, but her peers would say she was lucky to not have a nagging mother or a stern dad.

But sometimes nagging came from concern, and love. Sternness was sometimes a father preparing his child for the world.

She missed the nagging. She missed the light smile and laughing of her mother. She missed her father's advice and his hand on her shoulder. She missed their thoughts that were one constantly in her head, she knew that they loved her and that their intentions were always to keep her safe.

She gripped the box tightly. Kira had spent years trying to forget. Trying not to dwell on just how sad she was to be without them, even after so long the wound still felt fresh.

The thought of them still stung.