42: 𝑇𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔

Things at school we're going along normally now. Aside from Aizawa springing practice tests to rank the class before final exams. They were given only a week to prepare though, which was a bummer.

"Alright..." Aizawa said as the students got ready. He looked at Kira. "Kira, you may use the music player you were given at the beginning of the semester. Every student here has slightly different questions to avoid cheating. Yours is no different. Not that I really expected you to cheat though. In fact this system has been in place for years."

Kira rolled her eyes and took out the Mp3 player Aizawa had given her. The moment she put it on hands were raised.

"Yes Midoriya?" Aizawa asked with a sigh.

"S-sorry but um... Kokoa... Well you know.." the boy fake stammered. "Kokoa put earbuds in is all..."

"Yes I am aware." Aizawa said with a frown. "She's allowed to use them. Just her though, if I see any devices out I will obviously confiscate them."

This wasn't really the answer anyone wanted to hear. But no one complained, at least not out loud.

"What?! She gets to listen to music and we don't? Why not? What's with the favoritism?!"

"I bet she's his daughter..."

"Is that classical? Wayy different from her usual rock indie vibe..."

"Huh.. she really does seem to rely on stuff like that, she's constantly listening to music. I wonder if her secret quirk has something to do with it... Focus Katsuki... On the test, not Kira."

"Alright class." Aizawa said. Everyone turned to him nervously.

"Begin."

°.•.°•.°•.°

"These results aren't meant to discourage or embarrass you. Rather they are meant to help you see where you are in the class and who you could look too in the preparation of the upcoming final exams for help."
Aizawa explained, holding the remote carefully.

"No on cares man... Just show us whos the top of the class..."

"Please be me..."

"I poured my heart and soul into that test, and it's not even going to be a permanent grade... Probably didn't even make top ten though."

"There's no way I placed below five. I maybe even got first..."

"I know it's just practice... but I want to win. I want to be the top of the class."

"I'm still worried for her... But something was different this time. She didn't seem as frustrated. Oh no matter, I wonder what I scored! I've been a little down since the sports festival but I'm always number one academically! And I'm sure I'll have plenty of people to tutor!"

"Please tell me I did fine... I know it's just a practice test but... I want to have something that my family can be proud of. Especially after the incident..."

"As you remember none of this is permanent. It's simply something to gauge where you all are at the moment so we can track your progress. It also serves as a way to encourage you to better yourselfs academically." Aizawa said. He knew damn well they didn't care what he was saying. They just wanted results.
"With that said... Here is your class temporary rankings."

The screen it up.

"FIFTH?! How did that happen who's in... -damn it."

"Oh dear I'm... Second. That's fine! second is very good as well... V-very good... Oh dear how did this happen?! Who... How..."

"Fourth huh? Better than Deku. Not as good as Kira of course. But we all knew she was a genius."

Kira looked at the screen. Her name was right next to the number one. Right at the top of the list of students.

Kira had always been smart, she was the quickest learner in her kindergarten class. But as her quirk got stronger it became more and more of a handicap. She couldn't focus on her own thoughts. She felt guilty when she accidentally learned the answer from another student, so she wouldn't put anything down at all. Everything was loud and had no order. It was constant chaos.

But here she was. First. All because her teacher and Principal knew about her quirk and gave her a way to help ease her pain. Sure it the music didn't block out the thoughts at all. But it gave her a steady rhythm to follow and focus on. That's all she needed to succeed.

"Congratulations Kira!"

Kria turned to see Kirishima with a big smile on his face. "I'm fifteen... Kinda screwed but damn. Kira and Bakugou were both top scorers, I expected it for her but I kinda thought Bakugou was more of a fighter than an academic... Guess I was wrong."

"Thanks Kirishima!" Kira said, giving him a smile.

"And you too Bakugou! Top five is amazing." He smiled at the blonde who stared at him for a second. Before grunting and looking down at his hands.

"Does he mean that? Or was he just being nice because I was right next to her? Damn it I should have just nodded or something... or said thanks? Ew I don't like that. AHHH fuck why can't I just accept a compliment?! No wonder they hate me."
Bakugou thought while staring at his palms.

"Maybe I shouldn't have said anything... Maybe he was disappointed with fourth. I mean I'm not sure why, but he seems like the type to not want anything but first... Damn maybe I offended him."

"Aw, they're so cute." Kira cupped her cheek with a small smile. "Just be friends already."

"Don't mind him, Bakugou can't take complements very well." Kira said to Kirishima with a smile.

"I CAN TOO!!!" Bakugou snapped. "AND DON'T TELL PEOPLE TO IGNORE ME!!!"

"C-congratulations Kira!"

Kira looked up to see Momo. She was clutching a book against her chest and giving Kira a nervous but genuine smile.
"I think I've made a few undue assumptions about her... And I don't think she's liked me much since I forced a tutoring session on her... Especially with her intellect... She's very smart and I foolishly thought otherwise."

"Thanks Momo. Congratulations to you as well, I'm sure it was a close call." Kira smiled back at the girl. She was coming along, Kira figured she just had to be humbled herself slightly. With the sports festival and now this she'd been delt some serious blows to her self esteem. "And just between you and me... I'm not that great of a teacher... So if anyone comes asking, I'll be sending them your way."

Momo beamed at Kira. "She thinks I'm a good teacher?" She gave a small bow.
"Yes! Thank you Kira!"

"No problem." Kira shrugged as Momo walked away holding her books. Clearly happy that she made progress with Kira, who she still viewed as distant and somewhat cold.

"Guess I could throw away the idea of asking her to tutor me..." Jirou thought, biting her nails. "Not like I was gonna do it anyways, I'm too chicken. Besides I don't want her to think I'm dumb... I'm sure Yaomomo would be a great teacher..."

Kira sighed and put her hands behind her head. Momo was getting better, Kirishima was complimenting Bakugou and Midoriya was pissed at her Victory.

It was a pretty good day if you asked her.