Chapter 15

It's been an entire week since dads surgery and in that time span I have done four tests and have four more to go. I spent each waking moment in dads hospital room with my laptop and books while he occasionally chimes in and helps me. I'm pretty sure helping me study is his only form of entertainment since we've all been so strict. Especially mom.

Poor Benjamin Carter has been bed bound for the last seven days watching his daughter study, his brothers lounge around and bully him, and his wife glare at him for even suggesting to move.

"How much do I have to pay you to take me out of here?" Dad whispered as he game mom a nervous look while she raised an eyebrow at him.

"Mom I left one of my textbooks in your car, could you get it for me please?" I asked after a couple of minutes.

"Of course, I'll be back soon don't move." She said to dad as he nodded and watched as she grabbed her keys and walked out of the room.

Without wasting another second, I wheeled in a wheelchair right in front of dad and carefully helped him out of bed. I could count the amount of times dad has left this room on one hand, he's either been in too much pain, or he's been sleeping. Thankfully, each day he's gotten better and better though it's slow progress, it's still progress.

Once he was sat down, he grabbed my phone and began recording us driving down the hallway and into the lift. We went right down to the cafeteria and watched as all the doctors and patients rushed around with a snack in one hand and their pager in the other.

"You hungry?" I asked him as he rapidly nodded his head and handed me my phone back once he was done taking pictures. He's like a teenager sometimes, I think he forgets that he's a forty year old surgeon at times.

The line was practically nonexistent and so we went up to the front and waited for someone to notice us. It wasn't long till one of the ladies approached us a wide smile on her face and took our orders. I picked up a bunch of snacks and watched as she scanned them and placed them in a bag. We sat on a table right in front and patiently waited for one of the kitchen staff to make our food. The food in this hospital, is surprisingly amazing considering hospital food is ridiculously healthy and bland.

"Here you go darling." She said as she handed me our wraps.

"Thanks Jane." I grinned as I quickly tapped my card and turned around.

I'm pretty sure moms back from the car without my textbook that I hadn't forgotten. I'm also pretty sure she's impatiently waiting for us to come back ready to kill us.

"If you roll me into that room and run off, I'll kill you." Dad warned as we stepped into the elevator. How did he know?!

Giving him a sheepish grin, I pressed the button for the ICU floor and tapped on the handles for the wheelchair while looking around trying to avoid eye contact. I am most definitely pushing him into the room and running as far away as I possibly can.

We soon made it to our floor and slowly made our way to his room. The rustling noise from the bag of chips dad was eating sounded way louder than it should be. I feel like abandoning him here and running off. Every man for himself. Well, woman.

"Okay, you're going to poke your head in to see if she's even there." I whispered to dad as he nodded and cracked open the door an inch.

He let out a sigh of relief before throwing open the door and rolling in. Thank god.

"I can't believe we pulled that off." I sighed as I helped him get back in bed and quickly rolled the wheelchair out. I can't be making a rookie mistake by leaving the evidence out in plain sight.