Chapter 34

You know in movies when the main character is going through something traumatic you can hear everything but what's happening around them. The sounds of people talking, walking, doors closing, eating, any sound is cancelled out and all you can hear is the thumping of the persons heart. Everything is drowned out and replaced with their breaths and heartbeat.

I always thought they were so dramatic for making it seem like that, how it wasn't realistic at all. I guess it made everything all the more dramatic, but right now in this moment of time I could never have been more wrong.

I felt every single cell in my body beating with anticipation. My heart pounded loud in my ears, my head throbbed, and my limbs felt numb. I felt numb. Not too sure what to say or do except...sit there.

Kelly has not once opened her eyes for anyone, she's been holding onto my arm praying. Her shaking hands enveloping mine as I offer her as much comfort as I possibly could. It's not much but it's something. Mia occupied the seat on my right with her head on my shoulder. Her eyes and nose bloodshot from all the crying. My heart ached at the sight of the two most important women in Mason's life, the people who have been there from the very first second. The people who have known him and loved him their whole lives.

It's been a couple hours but not a single person had come to give us news or an update. Max and Harvey, Kelly's boyfriend of six months, came walking back with coffee for everyone, taking the seat next to their girlfriends. It's upsetting we met him at this time of all times but I didn't want to question her. She had her reasons and I'm pretty sure she was thinking of her kids from the very start. Despite the twins never having an issue with Kelly's relationship status, Mason doesn't count, Kelly was always steering far away from relationships. According to her she's 'too old', whatever that means. I can't wait to see Mason's reaction if...when he wakes up.

"Why don't we go for a walk, yeah? Kai's getting a little fussy." Aiden whispered, snapping me out of my thoughts as I looked around the room. All our friends are here along with Kelly, Harvey, Aiden and Kai. Everyone else is at home with the kids.

"W...what if...I don't..." I started as I licked my chapped lips and rubbed my hands over my ripped and bloody dress.

"Cmon." He said softly as he gently took my arm and pulled me up off the chair. Mia instantly shuffled closer to Kelly and held onto her like her life depended on it.

Wrapping an arm around my shoulders, we walked down the hallway and went over to the lifts. Kai was wide awake trying to reach for Aiden's face while I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes.

Pulling me to his chest, he ignored my bloody dress and comfortingly rubbed my back as I burst into a fresh set of tears. I've managed to keep them at bay up until now but one look from him just let the river of tears stream down my cheeks.

"He'll be okay, he'll be fine." Aiden reassured as I pulled away and wiped my eyes with his shirt as he rolled his eyes. "That's a new shirt you little shit." He glared as he swatted my hand away as I returned the glare and kicked his shin.

The lift stopped on the top floor where all the main attending's and chiefs offices are. I thought we were going to the cafeteria or something.

Getting out of the lift, we made a beeline for dads office and I instantly felt a sense of deja vu. Every single time I step foot in here, it looks the exact same. The same play area from when I was five is nearly set up in the corner. The couch where I used to take naps all the time still in the same place. I bet he still has his drawers stuffed with snacks. It's funny how that same play area is still in use by the kids whenever dad babysits.

"Athena said she had some clothes in here." Aiden said as he shut the blinds, blocking out the rest of the floor making it pitch black.

I opened up the small and very narrow wardrobe standing in the corner opposite my old play area and pulled out a white summer dress. Aiden walked out of the room with Kai as I quickly pulled off my dress and put on moms.