Chapter 26

"Absolutely nothing?" Mason asked in frustration as he cursed under his breath and hung up.

It's been an entire week since the letter and Mason and I went back to our apartment the next day. He searched it all from the top to the bottom leaving nothing unturned while I sat in the hallway right in front of the door.

Once he was sure there was absolutely nothing wrong, only then did we both go inside and slightly relax. We spent the entire day to ourselves, no cell phones, no leaving the apartment, just relaxing and spending time with one another. Honestly, it's exactly what I needed. I felt my brain going absolutely crazy and all I've been wanting to do is just relax. However, there's always been that gnawing feeling in my stomach slowly creeping up making me feel sick to my stomach.

Today Mason's been on the phone all day with Elijah and I feel so guilty. It's my fault he's so stressed out over something like this. For all I know it could have been some stupid person playing a prank on me and here I am stressing my loved ones about it.

"Where are you going?" He asked as I grabbed my purse and got up off the bed.

"Just for a walk, it's really warm in here." I gulped as the sight of his dark circles made me feel so much more guilty.

"Okay let me get my shoes on and we'll go." He said as he grabbed his sneakers.

Putting my hand over his, he gave me a confused look as I let out a soft sigh and shook my head.

"I'll be okay on my own." I said softly as his eyes furrowed in confusion.

"I'm not letting you go on your own if that's what you expected. It's not safe." He said as I shook my head once again.

"Mason I promise I'll be fine, okay? I just need some fresh air, and I'll be back in like ten minutes." I reassured him as he stood up from our bed and ran a hand through his hair.

"It's not safe, Everly!" He said in frustration as I flinched at the sound of my name. He rarely ever uses my name. "It could be ten minutes but whoever it is just needs ten seconds to just do whatever the fuck he wants!" He said as he turned to face me.

"Mason I can count on one hand the amount of times we left this apartment in the last four days, and every time we have I've been holding your hand and by your side for every second." I said in frustration. "I love you, I do but I love not being suffocated too." I sighed as he stayed silent for a solid couple of minutes.

"Fine, you want to go out then go. But please just be safe, keep that taser with you." He said softly as I nodded and planted a kiss to his cheek. "I love you, yeah?" He whispered as I nodded and walked out of the room.

I felt as though I was in a dream. You know when you're dreaming and you in one place one second and the next second you're in an entire different place. That's exactly my situation right now. I remember walking out of lobby and down the road and before I knew it I'm back at the campus cafe.

"E...Everly?" I heard a familiar voice ask as I looked up from my milkshake to see Gabe standing just a couple feet away from me.

"Oh, hey Gabe. What are you doing here?" I smiled as he hesitantly sat down in the chair in front of me holding a cup of coffee.

"I...I was s...studying." He said with a small, almost unnoticeable, smile. "C...congratulations, b...by the w...way. I h...heard you're in t...the f...fourth year." He said with a bigger smile.

"Thanks Gabe, and you shouldn't be studying. Go home, spend time with your family." I said a she lightly shook his head.

"I...I just visited m...my mom actually." He said as I smiled and nodded waited for him to carry on. "S...she's the o...one in h...hospital." He frowned as my smile instantly faded.