Chapter 57

It looked like a scene right out of Greys Anatomy. The episode where there was a ship wreck and bodies everywhere while ambulances upon ambulances scattered the entire deck. Okay, it's less dramatic and less dead bodies, but either way with the panic floating through the air line oxygen, it felt as though we were going to die. I was watching out the large window as injured people got taken in ambulances while others were half unconscious. I wonder if anyone lost their shoe.

Aiden's office is on the twenty fifth floor and the floor just above it was the one that exploded. Thankfully, all the workers on that floor were on their lunch break and so no one...died. But there are way too many people that are injured.

The seven of us are currently on the twentieth floor. The entire building has been cleared out but even though we're walking down, Hayley and I were absolutely shattered. She looked exhausted and ready to shut down if it wasn't for Aiden holding onto her. My legs were shaking like crazy, from the moment they explosion went off till this very moment in time. They feel like jelly.

Firemen came storming up the stairs one by one putting out the fire. Despite being five floors down I could still smell the thick black smoke and all it did was make me throw up...twice.

"We need you guys to clear the area, the smokes getting lower and it's not safe." One of the firemen said as he looked back into the stairwell before facing us.

"How bad is it?" Mason asked as we all impatiently waited for him to say something.

"No one was up there, as you all know. But the fire is going to be difficult to get under control. We can't do anything for the smoke except from escorting you guys out." He sighed as we nodded and got up off the couch.

Opening the door for us, Mason pressed his jacket to my mouth and nose once again while everyone else did the same. He covered his mouth and nose with his arm and wrapped an arm around my waist to keep me up.

Aiden and Hayley went first, then Kelsey and Finn, then Harry, and then us. The fireman ran back up the stairs while we all slowly made our way down. And by slowly I mean everyone practically flew down the stairs while Mason and I were lagging behind. Not because of me...okay because of me.

We managed to get down to the seventeenth floor before my spaghetti leg landed awkwardly on the next step almost causing me to fall to my death. If Mason wasn't holding me right now, I most definitely would've died a death.

"Easy, yeah?" He said as he made me sit on a step and unzipped my boot before pulling it off.

He touched my ankle and I immediately pulled it away from him, a sharp pain shot through it as I bit my lip to stop myself from making any noise.

"You're fine, okay? You're fine." He said softly as he slowly helped me put my shoe back on before standing up.

Looping his one of his arms under my knees and the other around my back, he picked up a twenty two week pregnant Everly Rose and started walking down.

My arms tightened around his neck with every step he took, I felt as though we'd fall at any given moment. He looked so effortless carrying me down the stairs, not a single drop of sweat on his forehead, not a single complaint, not even a single noise. He seemed as though carrying me was easier than walking with me.

"Mason, put me down." I said as the smoke decreased by each floor we walked down.

"Why? Are you in pain?" He asked as he stopped for a moment.

"No but..." I started but he immediately cut me off and continued to walk.

"Okay, so there's no problem. Great." He said as I rolled my eyes and shot him a glare.