Chapter 35

I've been nothing but on edge for the last five days and the fact that schools starting up again in a couple days is not helping. Mason has had all my attention whether he likes it or not, though I have no doubt he doesn't. My brain has been working overtime trying to convince myself that he won't drop dead at any given second.

The first two days he was in a lot of pain, his pale face and difficulty breathing was enough to put me on edge never mind the amount of morphine he was given. I know he tried his best to keep it from me and to hide his discomfort, but he's forgetting I can make him crack within seconds. He was barely eating anything and I'm pretty sure if it weren't for the IV, he would've died. No questions asked.

The third day he was at the hospital went a lot better. His face had its colour back and he was able to eat a lot more than before. Other than the times he was in pain, he was quite good, just sleeping a lot.

The fourth day, he got out of bed and made small trips to the bathroom himself and with me and anyone available we went for short walks in the hallways. I could tell he was getting frustrated with himself because his activity was very limited. It wasn't till after he completely blew up on me that he realised he couldn't do much about it and had to suck it up till he got home. I think he just needed to get the frustration out besides, I felt horrible, I could see how upset and angry he was and couldn't do anything.

On the fifth and final full day, I took Mason out to the garden and had Max help him whenever he needed it. I kept the wheelchair rolling with me in case he got too tired, but he didn't. The smile I adore so much returned and the frustration long gone.

Today, we signed the discharge papers and are currently on our way home. Mason wouldn't stop glaring at me for driving but did he seriously think he would be the one driving? Maybe that gunshot rattled his brain and made a couple brain cells fall out of his ears.

"I'm going to fudging die." He groaned as I rolled my eyes and punched him in the arm.

"My driving isn't that bad!" I defended. I can't believe the nerve of this man right now.

"Honey, babe, gorgeous, you can do anything if you put your mind to it. But you can't fucking drive to save your life!" He said as I switched off the air con. He can sweat in his seat.

"I'll make you walk home, how about that?" I said with a sarcastic smile. He genuinely looked as though he was contemplating it!

Stopping the car on the side of the road, I crossed my arms over my chest and watched as Mason opened his door and began walking. Before I could even speak, I realised we were only a couple feet away from our apartment building. Well that's embarrassing, now I have to pretend I knew and did it on purpose.

I drove the car into the parking garage and drove around till I finally found a spot. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I leaned over into the back and grabbed our things. Before my hand could even get to the handle, the door was pulled open and I instantly screamed in shock.

"What's with the screaming woman!?" Mason said as he slapped his hands over his ears and shot me a glare.

"How did you get here so quick?!" I said breathlessly as I put a hand over my heart to calm it down. Idiot.

"I wasn't going to let you open your own door." He winked before taking our things from my hands and pulled me out of the car.

I closed the door behind me and locked the doors before linking my arm with Mason's. I've barely been at the apartment the entire time Mason was at the hospital, I think I only came once and that was to get Mason a pair of clothes for today. I've been sleeping and eating at the hospital while Holly has been bringing me a change of clothes every day. Despite Mason's constant bugging trying to get me to leave, it didn't work.