Be careful (Tubbo|Smajor)

This oneshot may contain inappropriate language. If a warning needs to be added please let me know.
-
Side note — Strictly platonic
For Knives_and_spoons on ao3
-
Warnings — minor injury
-
Content Creators — Tubbo and Smajor
—————————————————————
Baking cookies should've been an easy task. All you have to do is make the mixture, mix it, roll it, cut it, and throw it in the oven for ten minutes or so; piece of cake.
So someone tell him why he's frantically running cold water over an eighteen - almost nineteen-year-olds hand.

Everything had been going smoothly up until a few minutes ago. They had successfully created the mixture - your average choc chip - and flattened it out on Scott's kitchen counter. They had used a range of different cookie cutters from shapes to sizes.

Everything was fine.

That was until Scott allowed Tubbo to put the cookies in the oven without a second thought.

He didn't spare a second thought - not even a glance - as he heard the young adult, noisily, pull out a tray and cover it with baking paper. Not even a second thought as he heard the thud of the cookies being placed on the baking paper.

Though, in Scott's defence, he was more focused on cleaning everything they had dirtied. That varied from bowls and knives to the floor. He never said that it was a clean process; Tubbo's practically covered head-to-toe with flour. It's lucky that he managed to get the younger into an apron, otherwise his clothes would've been dirtied beyond repair.

Anyways, as Scott began carefully placing all the equipment they had used into his sink, Tubbo had opened the oven. Scott's little "be careful" must've fallen deaf on the boy's ears as next thing Scott knows, a loud gasp of pain breaks through the peaceful silence along with the clatter of a tray hitting tiles.

Scott turned to the noise in an instant, taking only a brief moment to assess the situation before getting into action. The pained gasp had come from Tubbo, who was holding his left hand to his chest with his other hand, biting back a hiss. The clatter of a tray hitting tiles, was in fact the tray hitting the tiles, luckily the cookies are fine and can be saved. The oven hanged open; the oven tray only slightly pulled out.

He quickly pushed Tubbo towards the sink and let the cold-water flow through the tap. He tested the temperature with his finger and pushed Tubbo's left hand under the water.

Which leads to now.

The water's still running on Tubbo's hand and not a single word has been shared between the two since the incident. It's obvious on what had happened; Tubbo wasn't careful. He didn't think to find - even ask Scott where he keeps the Oven mitts, and instead, he had impulsively pulled out the oven tray with his bare hands. The hot, pre-heated oven. And now he might have third degree burns - which is a little dramatic, but he's definitely going to have mild burns on his hand.

Scott waits until ten minutes pass before doing much else; his heart going as crazy as his mind. He should've been the one to put the cookies in the over - or at least give the boy the mitts to begin with. What if the burns scar badly or- or... oh god, it's all his fault.

Although panicking internally, Scott composes himself just enough on the outside. He lets go of Tubbo's hand but makes sure it stays beneath the water before making his way over and opening the first aid cabinet; considering the friends he surrounds himself with, a whole cabinet for just first aid is completely reasonable. He takes out some sort of burn cream and a roll of bandages.

"Scott, I'm alright. You don't need to bandage it or anything, it's just a minor burn." Tubbo speaks up as he swivels his head to Scott, who's closing the cabinet with the bandages and cream in hand.

Scott raises an eyebrow, really?, and ignores the others statement entirely. Tubbo lets out a surrendered huff and allows Scott to do whatever he wishes.

Scott turns the cold water off and gently dries the boy's hand off with a tea towel. The palm of his hand has turned a brighter pink and a few blisters are beginning to form. Hopefully the cold water should numb his hand enough for Scott to apply the cream to it.

"Scott, it's fine. Really." Tubbo tries again, a little distress showing in his voice this time.

Scott pauses and meets the youngers eye, "Tubbo, your palm is red and blistering, just let me put this on so it doesn't get any worse." Scott makes sure it doesn't sound like a plead. He just needs Tubbo to hold tight so he can help.

"But-"

"No buts. You burnt your hand stupidly so just let me patch it up." Scott huffs, grabbing Tubbo's hand forcefully.

"Sorry." The boy mumbles, electing to look the other direction as Scott applies the cream to his palm. It only takes a few minutes for Scott to finish up and wrap Tubbo's hand loosely; too tight and it'll irritate the skin and be more painful.

Tubbo's still facing away from him, only wincing one or twice when Scott patched up his hand. Scott sends the boy a concerned look, which the other doesn't receive, before putting away the equipment he used.

"Kiddo? You okay?" Scott hesitates to ask. He approaches the younger and places a hand on his shoulder.

The boy doesn't respond, only a sniffle in replace of words. It doesn't take long for Scott to be holding the boy in his arms as he sobs.

"Toby?"

"I- I'm sorry. I wasn't- I wasn't thinking and- and-" He stutters before the sobs take over. He didn't mean to grab the oven tray with his bare hands- he just wasn't thinking, he was too caught up with the excitement of making cookies- and now those are ruined too. And he's just made Scott fuss over him and it's all his fault! He didn't mean to.

"Oh, kid, no. It's okay, it was a mistake, and I should've provided you with the oven mitts." Scott rubs circles on the kids back, lowering him to the ground. The younger shakes his head, "No! no, I was- was too caught up and- and now- they're ruined! It's my fault!" he cries, his arms wrapped around the older's neck as he sobs into his shoulder.

"What's rui- oh! No, honey, the cookies are fine. I'm more concerned about you at the moment." Tubbo relaxes a bit, feeling less tense in Scott's arms.

They stay like that on the, very dirty, floor for a while. Scott with his arms wrapped around Tubbo as the boy's sobs slowly quieten down. Tubbo with his arms tightly wrapped around Scott's neck as the older rub's circles on his back.

Scott pulls back, "Hey, how about we put the cookies in the oven and set the timer, then we can cuddle on the couch?" He suggests, wiping the tears from the other's eyes. Tubbo nods weakly with a sniff and hops to his feet; Scott doing the same with a soft smile.

Scott kneels in front of the, still opened, oven and picks up the tray of cookies. He places it on the counter above and gestures for Tubbo to come closer, which he hesitantly does. "Here," Scott grabs the oven mitts from a cupboard below, "try again." He places them carefully in Tubbo's hand. Tubbo looks unsure but slips his hands inside, taking the tray from Scott's offering hands. The oven tray is already pulled out from his attempt before, so all he has to do is place the tray on top, and push the oven tray in.

Scott watches his every move and reassures him as he goes. Eventually, the oven door shuts, and the timer is being set to twelve minutes. Tubbo smiles at their success of finally finishing the last step of making the cookies, and Scott just smiles at Tubbo's.

"C'mon, let's go to the couch, watch south park while we wait?" Tubbo nods and takes the lead to Scott's living room, Scott following close behind. Scott grabs the remote from the coffee table before settling with Tubbo on the couch.

They're ten minutes into an episode of South Park when Tubbo says, "Uhm, is it a bad time to say that my hand feels like it's on fire?"

Scott pauses the show and gapes and the younger, "You're telling me now! I could've given you Advil ages ago!" He exclaims as he jumps off the couch to the kitchen, Tubbo giving a low whine as he leaves.

"We were having a moment!" The boy calls back with a giggle at the frantic older.

"No excuse!"
———————————————————————
Hi! Leave a request if you have one