'The metal contraptions of death' (Crimeboys)

This oneshot may contain inappropriate language and/or sensitive scenes
-
Side note — I get braces, Tommy gets braces
-
Warnings — braces 😬
-
Content creators — Tommyinnit, Wilbur Soot and Philza
———————————————————
Tommy could still remember the nights spent crying in his bed with his face pressed firmly in the pillow. He remembered the pain and embarrassment. He remembered hating it. He hated it for all the years he had to endure it, and when he went to his last appointment - the appointment that he got it removed, he was happy.

Tommy had gotten his braces removed in late 2020, and now he was going to get them back on in early 2023.

It was only supposed to be a simple dentist appointment; the ones where they make sure everything's good and healthy. It was only supposed to be a simple dentist appointment. And then they mentioned the possibility of braces. Tommy had kept it together. He didn't let the dentist know that his heart would no longer be found in his chest, but his stomach. He held on to the 'possibility' part of the sentence. And he awaited the call.

It was late, and while it wasn't abnormal for him to receive calls at that time of night, Tommy knew that when he answered it wasn't going to be the voice of a close friend. He had swallowed the lump in his throat and swiped answer on his phone. It took less than a minute for him to choke back a sob.

Tommy knew he needed them, but it left him distraught that he'd have the little metal contraptions of death in his mouth for another two years. After he had ended the call, the metaphorical dam that held all his hope inside, broke. He couldn't stop the broken sob that erupted from his throat, and the tears that tumbled down his cheeks.

He spent the rest of that night cooped up in his bed with his phone tucked closely against his ear. Tommy offered his deep breaths and hiccups through the line, while his older brother's comforting voice sent him to sleep.

Tommy thought when the day came, he would've been all snot and tears, but he kept it together. He was good at that. He was good at covering up his feelings - it was a part of the job. But he knew he couldn't fool Wilbur and Phil. Wilbur and Phil were his second family, he spent days on end with them and he knew they wouldn't be fooled.

However, as he found himself places on the side seat across from Wilbur with Phil in the front driving, there was no mention. There was no talking. And for once, Tommy was grateful. He loved them, of course he did, but he felt as if, if any word were to come out of his mouth, it would be followed by sob. So, he stayed quiet, along with the car spare the soft sound of the radio.

And while Tommy's mind circled blank, Wilbur's swelled with memories.

As Tommy slouched against the window, numbly watching the trees pass by, Wilbur watched him. Wilbur paid attention to the crease in his brother's eyebrows, the frown that replaced his usual grin, the faint tear stains from previous nights, and his eyes filled with sorrow.

Wilbur's heart had clenched when he got the call from Tommy.

Wilbur had always been the one with the perfect teeth, there was never the thought or troubles of braces. But that didn't mean he wasn't informed. Meeting Tommy was the best thing to ever happen to him, but, as ironic as it was, he did find Tommy annoying at first; but it took less than a week for Tommy to smuggle his way into Wilbur's heart. And there he stayed. Cherished and loved by Wilbur, and with that love, came the childlike whining and complaining; Wilbur never minded.

In so, Wilbur knew of the horrors (Tommy's words, not his) of having braces. Wilbur knew of the pain, of the embarrassment and everything that came with it. Wilbur liked to joke that it was like he was going through it as well. But, while Tommy swore the braces were little metal contraptions of death, Wilbur knew that there were a few factors Tommy enjoyed; He knew Tommy liked the 'pity food' after each appointment, and how he wanted his teeth to be perfect, to be perfect like Wilbur's.