7.1.8

Deepika was home on the Sunday feeling utterly bored. On top of that she was alone at home. Her brother had went God knows where early in the morning.

Deepika was sprawled on the couch in front of the tv when she heard the doorbell ring. She sighed in relief thinking it to be Deepak. She wouldn't talk to him but it was better than being alone.

Her relief turned into a frown when she saw an unknown face outside. It was a woman slightly older than her. She was very beautiful and looked mature.

The woman on the other hand frowned seeing Deepika. She raked her eyes all over her form to scrutinize her. Deepika was wearing a shorts and tshirt tucked in it from one side.

“Yes?”

Deepika asked leaning on one side of the door, feeling nervous in the woman's gaze. Why was she looking at her like she wanted to kill her.

“Who are you?”

The woman asked and Deepika raised her eyebrow.

“I should be the one asking that considering you're at my doorstep.”

The woman looked away for a moment before asking.

“This is Deepak's place right?”

Deepika nodded and asked her who she was.

“I-umm-I am Vanshika. Deepak's- his… friend.”

The way she said made Deepika suspicious.

“Friend? Where do you know him from?”

“We work in the same office.”

“So you're his colleague.”

“Umm-yeah-you can say that. I need to have a word with Deepak. Can I come inside?”

Deepika opened the door wide letting the woman entered and asked her to sit. She got her water making her smile politely.

“Can you please call him?”

“Ohh-he’s not home right now.”

Deepika replied and the woman frowned.

“How long will he back in?”

“I don't know. I don't even know where he went so early in the morning.”

The woman realised something and smiled.

“He must be out for his morning jog. He tends to do that when he's got stuff on his mind. Which means he'll be back any time now.”

Deepika looked at the woman in shock. How did she know so much about her brother? Things even she didn't know. Where they that good of friends?

Before she could ask, the woman asked.

“Who are you by the way?”

She seemed a little afraid of her answer.

“Oh! I'm his sister.”

As soon as she uttered the words, all the tension flew from the woman's body and she beamed at her. She sprung up from the couch making Deepika looked at her surprised.

“You're Deepika!”

It was a statement. This woman knew her.

“H-how do you know me?”

“Deepak speaks a lot about you.”

She said stressing on ‘a lot’. Deepika didn't even bother masking her shock.

“He talks about me?”

“Sorry! Wrong word. He rambles about you. So much ki mujhe lagta hai I know you better than I know myself. I know your favourite color, your favourite food, you music preferences, your movie tastes, your weird habits which he finds cute, how you react to certain things and so much more.”

The woman had such a wide smile on her face like she was actually delighted to meet her.

“When-when did he say all this to you?”

“When he used to come over at my place.”

She said in excitement but realised what she spoke and quickly covered up.

“Umm -I mean on the occasions he'd come over for drinks.”

“He was drunk when he spoke all this?”

Deepika asked and Vanshika nodded understanding what she meant.

“”I know what you're thinking. What trust me. He speaks his heart when he's drunk. And the admiration and love his eyes held for you were clear indications of how much he cared and loved you.”

“Well, he had a weird way of showing it.”

Before Vanshika could say another word, they heard the front door being opened and shut and Deepak entered sweating profusely, confirming Vanshika’s theory that he was out for a jog.

“Vanshika? What are you doing here?”

He asked while sending a brief glance towards Deepika. She sensed he didn't want to have a conversation with Vanshika in front of her.

She excused herself towards the kitchen while putting her ear on the door to hear the conversation outside.

“You've not talked to me since almost 6 months now.”

She heard Vanshika's voice.

“I-I have been keeping busy.”

Deepak's nervous voice came.

“So busy that you've avoided me in the office whenever we crossed paths. So busy that you've changed your path when you've seen me.”

She complained and Deepak asked in hushed yells.

“What do you want?”

There was silence for some time.

“You've stopped drinking?”

“Why would you ask that?”

“Because you've only come to me when you were either drunk or when you needed a release from all the frustration.”

She could hear the sadness from her tone. How many people has her brother been hurting?

“That's -that’s not true!”

Deepika rolled her eyes at how weak his defence was.

“You and I both know it's true Deepak. Because that's what you've done since the past 5 years, since the time we've known each other.”

Woah! 5 years is a long time.

“But I am happy you've stopped drinking. It was not good for your health. Mental and physical health both. I am really happy for you Deepak. Guess you'll not need me anymore.”

The last part was said with so much vulnerability that Deepika felt her heart ache for the woman.

She peeked out to see the woman perched up on her tip toes and kissing her brother. A parting kiss. The tears threating to fall from her eyes told so. Her brother was an asshole.

“Have a great life Deepak. I'll always remember you. You were the best part of my life.”

With these words, she ran out of the house leaving a stunned Deepak standing in the middle of the living room.
**************************************
Please do leave your comments.

Also, please vote for the story.😊🙏🏻

Laters!!😘❤️