7.2.2

It was 9 pm and all the puja stuff was prepared. Now the ladies were waiting for two things.

One was the moon and the other was Bhavesh.

“Bhavesh ko call krna Payal. Kaha pahucha pata chale.”

Her mother-in-law asked and Payal smiled.

“Keh rhe the time se hi aa jaayenge. Maine subha bol dia tha. Pahuchne wale honge. Abhi toh chaand bhi nhi aaya.”

“Karwa Chauth ka chaand hai. Intezaar karwata hai.”

Her mother-in-law commented and Payal chuckled.

The ladies waited earnestly for the moon. Payal was continuously gazing at the entrance door, awaiting Bhavesh’s arrival.

At 9:15 pm, the moon finally graced them with its presence. But Bhavesh was still not there. They waited for some time thinking he might be on the way.

But at 9:30, their hungry stomachs gave up and her mother-in-law asked her to call him.

Payal picked up her phone and dialed Bhavesh's number. It rang for a long time but went unanswered.

“Shayad drive kr rhe hai. Aane wale honge.”

She answered while leaving a text to him.

‘Please come home soon Bhavesh’

She prayed in her mind but when there was no clue about him even when the clock struck 10, Payal urged her mother-in-law.

“Mummy aap aapna fast khol lo. Bhavesh ke aate hi mai bhi khol lungi.”

“Ye ladka na! Sunega mujhse kal.”

Her mother-in-law grumbled and set the puja thaal. Payal along with her in-laws stepped out on the terrace and saw the beautiful moon.

She smiled looking at the full moon but it fell thinking about her absent husband. Payal carefully saw how her mother-in-law did all the rituals, for she would repeat them with Bhavesh whenever he returned.

She served her in-laws while continuously gazing at the entrance for any sign of her husband. Her mother and father-in-law went to their room while Payal went to hers.

She sat on the couch feeling her stomach grumble and sighed. She picked up her phone and dialed his number again.

“Bhavesh? Kaha hai aap?”

She sighed in relief when he picked up.

“Office mai hu Payal. What is it?”

His reply was hushed. Why was he whispering? And why was he still in the office?

“Aap abhi tak nikle kyu nhi waha se?”

“Meeting mai hu mai. Can we talk when I return home? I'm busy.”

He answered and she felt angry. Here, she was dying of hunger and he was in a meeting. Even after she told specifically told him to come home early.

“Meeting? Bhavesh maine aapse kaha tha na aaj-”

“Payal please! I'm in a meeting. We'll talk later ok. Just go to sleep.”

The call was disconnected and Payal gaped at the phone. She knew he was a workaholic but was work so much important that he didn't care about his wife waiting for him at home, hungry stomach.

Did she hold no importance in his life? Was she wrong to think he felt something for her? Maybe for him it was all only an added responsibility. Or only sex. She knew she was overthinking but he had been attentive towards her only when they were in bed together.

It had been 5 months to their marriage and she'd not even watched a movie with him. Speak about going out? He hadn't spent a good 15 minutes with her in a day except when making love. He was always either working or too tired to go anywhere.

And when they were home, they'd prefer spending time with family rather than alone. So basically, in the five months of their marriage, they've not spent time with each other alone apart from the mandatory honeymoon they were sent to when things were still not very comfortable and less awkward between them.

And since the past few weeks, he'd become so busy that sometimes she couldn't even see his face before going to bed. Was he getting bored of her already? Did he start losing interest in her in their beginning months only.

The thoughts brought tears into her eyes. Her hunger frustrated her. And when her stomach grumbled again she got up wiping her tears harshly and removed all the jewellery putting them on the dressing table.

She wiped her makeup off and laid on the bed with silent tears streaming down her face. Hiding her face in the pillow she covered herself with the duvet and let her pain flow through her eyes.

When Bhavesh finally reached home, it was 12 am. He was dead tired. He saw Payal inside the blanket, sleeping and sighed in relief knowing she listened to him and did not keep waiting for him.

He joined her in bed after changing his clothes and freshening up. He laid down hugging her from behind and that's when he noticed she hadn't changed her clothes.

Looking at her red saree, he realised what event today was. She had specifically asked him to come home early to help her open her fast. He cursed himself in mind.

He should have heard her when she called and not rebuked her. She'd be so mad at him the next day. She had to complete the ritual alone because he wasn't there.

What he was not aware about was that she hadn't eaten or had a drop of water the whole day and had slept still waiting for him to help her open her fast because his parting words that morning had been ‘Wait for me.’

She waited. And was still doing so. Hugging her tighter he slept muttering an apology and kissing the back of her head. Somewhere in the middle of the night, he felt her move and cuddled him. A smile formed on his lips. Maybe he could make up to her the next day.
**************************************
Please do leave your comments.

Also, please vote for the story.😊🙏🏻

Laters!!😘❤️