7.4.2

Dhara was standing with her mother-in-law and some other elder ladies. Kabir too have arrived an hour back. Dhara was really nervous knowing the ladies were going to question her about having kids.

And they did not disappoint.

“Aur beta? Bacho ko kyu nhi laaye? Kl toh Sunday hai na school ki bhi tension nhi thi. Le aate na.”

Dhara wanted the Earth to swallow her up. She gulped and stuttered out that she didn't have kids and the lady looked at her in surprise.

“Oh achha sorry sorry! Mujhe laga aapki shaadi ko time ho gaya hai. Newly married?”

Dhara bit her lip and answered in a slow voice.

“Ji-nhi-wo -5 saal-”

“Oh achaa! Wo kya hai na bacha ho toh pata chal jaata hai ki shaadi ko time ho gaya. Bacha na hone pr yoh newly married hi hai.”

The lady laughed it off although she could see the sympathetic look the other ladies were giving her. As if something was wrong with her because she didn't have kids even after 5 years of marriage.

Kabir and Dhara were in their room, dead tired from the party yet somehow sleep was far away from their eyes.

Kabir laid on his back with his right hand under his head and the other sprawled wide as a cushion for Dhara as he stared at the ceiling lost in his thoughts.

Dhara was laid beside him with her head on his arm and arm around his torse. She drew unconscious circles on his chest. She seemed hesitant about something.

Her mind was at conflict. Should she ask? Or not? Closing her eyes and gaining courage somehow she called him.

“Kabir?”

He hummed absentmindedly and she wetted her lips trying to control her erratic heartbeat.

“Umm-don’t you think we should….get our tests done?”

He frowned and looked at her asking her to elaborate.

“Tests? What tests? Kya hua tumhe? And what would I get mine done for?”

She bit her lip and started in a very low voice.

“We-we have been trying for a baby for 2 years now and…there has been no results. I think hume ek baar doctor se consult kr lena chahiye. Kya pata koi medical ya health issue-Kabir?”

She looked at him in panic because he got off the bed with such urgency that she felt sick.

“So you're trying to say it's my fault you're not able to conceive?”

His tone was accusatory and she shook her head quickly trying to explain her point.

“Nhi! When did I say that? I am saying ke ek baar doctor se consult krne mai kya problem hai? Kabir aap please yaha baithiye na. Mujhse dur kyu khade hai?”

She asked through tears in her eyes. She needed him at the moment. Too much.

He gave her a cold laugh and looked at her in disbelief.

“Seriously Dhara! You want to cuddle you after you practically called me an infertile?”

“Oh God! No! I did not say that. I never said that Kabir. Please! Please sit here and listen to me. Mai bas itna keh-”

“You know what? I can't do this right now. Not after going through all that torture of bearing the sympathetic looks at the party today. I need some time alone.”

With those words he left the room leaving Dhara behind with tears and shock in her eyes. People were giving him sympathetic looks because she, his wife, couldn't give him a child yet?

She wanted to die at the moment. Will everything be ok after that though? Maybe? But she couldn't do that either. She was too cowardly to even end herself.

She explained herself that he was just frustrated and would come around. She wiped off her tears but couldn't sleep the whole night. And for the first time since their marriage, she slept alone in her room because he was angry at her.

Kabir didn't talk to her for two days and when he finally did it was to tell her that he was leaving for Bangalore for a business event and would be returning four days later.

Dhara didn't know how to react. She wanted to hug and cry in his arms, apologize and cuddle him till he told her everything was okay between them. But she was scared of his reaction. What if he pushes her away again?

Kabir had left a few hours ago and his flight had taken off. It was her, her mother-in-law and Karan in the house now. Her father-in-law was out for a walk in the market.

Dhara was going out of the room to make tea for herself and her mother-in-law when she heard the latter talking to someone over call.

“Bataya bhi nhi ki Niharika aayi hui hai. Bhut galat baat hai Ruchi. Ab aisa bhi kya ho gaya ki hamari bachi apne hi ghar nhi aa skti?”

Her mother laughed at something the lady on the other side must have said. She knew who Ruchi aunty was. Her mother-in-law's best friend. And Niharika was Ruchi’s daughter. She lived abroad and seemed like she was in India at the moment.

Her mother-in-law's eyes met hers and Dhara smiled but the lady went to talk ignoring her.

“Arre ab kya batau Ruchi. Bhut badi galti ho gyi bas ye samajh le. Agar uss waqt time se teri Niharika ka rishta apne Kabir ke liye le liya hota toh aaj kam se kam do bacho ka baap hota mera beta. Par naseeb naseeb ki baat hai na. Kya hi kr skte hai? Mera bas chale toh mai toh aaj bhi dono ki shaadi krne ko taiyar hu.”

She laughed again and Dhara felt her breath hitch. Marriage? Again? Of Kabir? Her Kabir? Because she couldn't give him a child? No! No! She couldn't bear that.

“Maa!”

Dhara flinched hearing Karan’s voice who looked like he'd heard everything his mother had said. She disconnected the call and looked at her son.

“Kya kar rhe ho aap? Bhabhi is standing right here. Aur itna ganda mazaak?”

Dhara felt the need to intervene knowing how protective Karan was for her.

“It's okay bhaiya! I know mummy ka wo matlab nhi tha. Aur mazaak hi toh tha na. Mai aapke liye smoothie bana kr laati hu.”

She fled from the scene trying to hide her teary eyes.
**************************************
Please do leave your comments.

Also, please vote for the story.😊🙏🏻

Laters!!😘❤️