Chapter. 57

"I can't believe you've never been to a library!" Connie yelled at the both of you.
"Well, we don't really explore outside of Beach City and Gem missions," you told Connie.
Steven "parked" Lion and the 3 of you made your way inside.
"Books!" Steven exclaimed. The librarian at the counter shushed Steven.
"Books." Steven repeated, this time quieter.

"Connie! (y/n)!" you heard Steven whisper/yell.
"What is it?" you questioned, reading a book you found.
"Look!" Steven told the both of you. You opened the book and saw that it was a journal filled with Gem stuff.
"The temple?!" you yelled. The librarian shushed you.
"Buddy Buddwick?" you questioned, reading further and further in.
You found out that Buddy used to be a sailor but he soon turned to exploration.
"Whoa, he knew the gems."
You, Steven, and Connie began to imagine how the gems would have looked back then. You giggled at the designs you came up with.

"Her hair draped over her shoulders and back such as a rose." Connie read. Steven gasped.
"Mom!"
You read about how Rose cheered up Buddy and inspired him to become an author.
"So, this entire library was written by Buddy?!" you exclaimed. Once again, you were shushed.
The three of you looked up at a painting.
"That must be him." Connie said.
"Wow, we were way off." you replied.
"I like our design better." Steven added.

"Steven, Connie, are you guys gonna be here a while?" you asked. They nodded in reply.
"Well, if you don't mind I'm going to have Lion take me home."
"Alright, seeya at home!" Steven cheered. Connie gave you a hug.
"I'll see you soon."

"Garnet!" you yelled, pushing the door open. Garnet quickly came out of her room.
"What is it?" she asked, a bit worried.
"I missed you!" you yelled, hugging Garnet. Garnet chuckled.
"You were only gone a few hours."
"Without you, it felt like an eternity." You replied, exaggerating.
Garnet pulled away.
"What was it you wanted to tell me?" She questioned.
"Oh, what was Buddy like?" you asked her.
"Buddy? What do you know about Buddy?" Garnet asked you.
"I know he was a sailor, explorer, and an author. You and Pearl told him not to travel to any of the Gem locations you provided, which he explored anyways. And, just when he thought he was on the brink of expiration, Rose helped him!"
Garnet laughed.
"You remember all of that?"
You nodded in confirmation.
"Well, if you couldn't already tell from his journal, Buddy was a lot like Jamie."

Garnet told you about Buddy almost more than the journal did.
"Buddy must have been amazing." you told Garnet, slowly closing your eyes.
"Not as amazing as you," Garnet whispered. You fell asleep on Garnet's lap. Garnet stroked your hair with her right hand and held your left hand with her own.
"Goodnight, my little explorer."