The Knife

I arrived back at the house to find my father arguing with Drake inside the front door. I jumped off the bike rushing up the steps and inside the house without delay.

"Dad stop!" I said jumping in front of him holding him away from Drake.

"No you are too young to be in the guard. I won't allow you to stay here," he said as I glanced at Drake who to my surprise was smiling. He wanted my father angry so he would do something to get himself killed. He wanted a reason to question him about the Gemini Lycans.

"Dad this is the only way to keep you safe," I whispered as he stiffened. "Mom's dead."

"Buttercup this isn't the place for you," he whispered when Nate rushed over handing the knife to Drake. Nate glanced at my father his posture shifting to defensive. He could tell my father was a threat. Drake held it up inspecting the blade. In a flash the blade was in motion as he tried to stab my father. I gasped as worry flooded through my system. I sighed with relief when nothing happened to my father. He didn't even have a scratch on him. I knew how the knife worked in theory but I didn't think the rumors were true.

"Damn it you promised you wouldn't hurt him. You had no idea if that knife would hurt him," I snapped as my father pulled me away from Drake.

"Calm down," he whispered in my ear causing me to take a breath.

"I had to test it on someone," he said before my father stepped in front of me. If my father did anything else to protect me it would tip Drake off. He would know something was off.

"Drake if I find out that you got my daughter killed through being a part of the guard I'll come after you with everything fiber of my being even if I have to track down the Gemini Lycans myself," he growled his eyes full of his Lycan rage.

"Are you threatening me old man?" Drake said baring his teeth. I felt his alpha powers flush through the entire room as he glaring into my father's unyielding gaze.

"Dad please don't," I said with tears swimming in my chocolate eyes. He stepped back facing me. He cupped my face in his hands with sadness in his dark eyes.

"Be safe," he said kissing my forehead before fleeing from the room. I gasped as a single tear slipped down my face. I quickly wiped it away before facing Drake.

"Because of your father you will be going with Chad to hunt the Gemini Lycans at the end of this month," Drake snapped thrusting the knife into my hand. I began to panic at the thought of the knife blade touching my hand. I quickly put the knife away before following Danielle up to her study. I got a hold of myself as I caught up to Danielle. I stood at the top of the staircase speaking to Danielle.

"Miss would you like me to wait in the study or in the hall?" I asked respectfully bowing my head.

"In the study," she said as I stepped into the grand study. I looked around the spacious room with dark wood floors with a roaring fireplace. The desk sat in the middle of the room with chair scattered around the room. I leaned against the wall next to the door as she sat at her desk with piles of books on the Gemini Lycans.

"You have done so much research on them," I gasped causing her to laugh.

"They are dangerous. Everything I have found shows that they have mood swings that can kill anyone in the pack. They can't always control the power they possess. My uncle was killed by a Gemini Lycan before I was born," Danielle said as pain flashed in her eyes her smile fading with each word. In her eyes I could see the anger dancing with the sadness.

"I'm sorry he died," I whispered somehow blaming myself. I hadn't killed him in fact I hadn't even been born yet but I still felt like it was my fault.

"It's in the past," she said turning back to her book. "This book says we can track them. Chad is our best tracker we just need to explain to him what they smell like."

"Wouldn't they all smell different?" I asked fear rushing through my blood.

"Yes but they still smell like Lycans just much concentrated," Danielle said as I walked over sitting across from her.

"Can I help?" I asked my curiosity peaked by this new knowledge.

"Sure," she said handing me a book. I flipped through it before finding an old legend about the Gemini Lycans. It says that the Gemini Lycans used to rule the packs and there was peace. Are Danielle and Drake ignoring this?

"It says they used to rule and there wasn't war," I said as her eyes locked on mine. I could see a fear sparkling in her green eyes.

"The legend is irrelevant," she said as I nodded pretending like I believed her. I turned back to my book as I continued reading. My interest peaked once again by a line that two alphas mated to create the power concentration to create the Gemini Lycans. And Gemini Lycans are descendants of the strongest union allowed in any pack to date. I paused when I found the real reason we are now hunted. We had a birthright to become alphas. I shut the book shaking my head.

"Nothing useful," I sighed standing up. I walked over to the wall standing against it once more. "I hope you kill them." I lied in the hopes of gaining her trust.

"We will," she smiled as she continued her research. I thought of my brother out there alone and now in very real danger. He needed my help and soon if he is to survive.