MATES!

"Sapphire come meet the leader of the Florida pack," Drake called causing me to leave Nate on the dance floor. "This is Todd."

"Hi," I smiled as he is lips brushed my hand.

"Princess I looked forward to meeting you. There hasn't been a Gemini born in centuries. I would be honored if you would dance with me," Todd said his yellow eyes sparkling. I took his hand walking into the crowd. He put his right hand on my waist his other gripped my hand. We waltzed around the room. I wasn't the best dancer but Todd made up for it.

"So you came all this way for me?" I asked softly as he laughed.

"Yes Princess," he smiled causing me to blush. "You can make the difference of who lives and dies. You may not be an Alpha but you have more power than you realize," Todd said peaking my interest.

"That's very kind but Drake is in charge," I said politely.

"Nathan sent me to see you," Todd said taking me by surprise. "He found him and he's coming for you, he will always come."

"Why would he risk his life for me?!" I demanded glancing to see if anyone heard. I breathed a sigh of relief that no one appeared to hear us.

"That answer should be obvious," he said as I continued to stared at him confused. "He cares about you deeply. He was supposed to kill you with his knife but he defied his clan for you Sapphire."

"Tell him I'm okay and to protect my brother at all costs and try and give him the normal life I'll never have," I whispered walking away quickly. I found Nate as panic filled my body. Nate grabbed me pulling me close. He read my emotions that were bubbling up threatening to swallow me whole.

"Calm down," he whispered as images of Nathan flashed through my mind. His embrace that would calm me instantly. He moved me more than anyone I had ever known while Nate accepted me. I felt myself being tugged in two directions unsure who I liked the most. All I knew was I wasn't safe anywhere.

"Nate," I said my words catching in my throat.

"I love you and I think we are mates," Nate said causing tears to pool in my eyes. I couldn't say it back because I didn't think we were mates.

"I don't think I can do this with you right now," I gasped rushing away from him and deep into the party crowd. I found myself rushing upstairs with tears streaming down my face. I made it to my room locking the door. I flopped on the bed sobbing. Nate was sweet and kind but I don't feel the connection I should with a mate. The only person I felt connected to was Chad but clearly he was putting on a show. I found myself reaching for the connection of my brother. I sat up pulling my crown off as I stood. I heard a knock on the door. I walked over pulling it open.

"What the hell was that?!" Nate yelled causing me to try at shut the door. Nate blocked it before pushing his way inside.

"Get out!" I growled as he crossed his arms. "I can always force you to leave."

"You owe me an explanation," he snapped causing me to sigh.

"Fine. I don't think we're mates. The connection my parents told me about was unquestionable but with you I have doubts. Not doubts about you but doubts about my feelings," I said with tears slipping down my cheeks.

"I love you so much I can't bare it!" Nate yelled grabbing my arms. I pulled back but he held me still.

"Let go," I snapped as he stared me down. "Nate please go!"

"I can't leave you," he said making my blood run cold. I squirmed out of his grasp slapping him.

"I can't do this anymore," I sobbed as he glared at me.

"Why am I so revolting to you? I accepted you even after people said you were a monster," Nate said harshly. "Now I see they are right!" He stormed out as I sunk to the floor. I broke his heart but he just crushed my soul on purpose.

"Nathan," I gasped as pain radiated through my body. "Where are you?" I closed my eyes collapsing on the floor as his kind eyes flashed through my mind.

"Princess," Todd said kneeling next to me. "What's wrong?"

"I was called a monster by the man who claims to be my mate," I cried as I thought again of Nathan. "I need Nathan so much I can't breathe without him. I thought Nate could help me forget and move on but all I can think about is Nathan. Is it possible to have a witch as a mate?"

"Yes it is possible," Todd said a distant look in his eyes. "My wife is human."

"Is this what people feel when they lose their mate?" I asked as Todd scooped me into his arms carrying me to the bed. He laid me on the bed pulling my heels off.

"Ask you father?" Todd said softly.

"I need Nathan but his safety could be at risk," I gasped as Todd pulled out his phone.

"Hey man she figured it out," Todd said handing me the phone.

"Sapphire calm down," Nathan said as I took a breath.

"I don't think I can handle this without you," I gasped as Todd walked over to the window.

"You have to just a little while longer and then I'll come for you," Nathan said firmly hanging up. I gasped handing the phone to Todd. I found my mate but the only problem is we are supposed to me enemies...