The Start

I woke early in the morning to leave to 'hunt' the Gemini Lycans. I put my suitcase in the back of the truck before turning to load the motorcycles on the bed of the truck. I pinned the bikes down with a chain before Danielle walked over to me.

"Did you say anything to Drake?" She asked as I shook my head as she sighed with relief. I smiled at Chad as he took a file from Drake. I wanted to know what Danielle would do if presented with the fact I'm one the big bad Lycans they were hunting. I got in the passenger side shutting the door. I sat and waited for Chad to get in the car.

"Are you ready?" Chad asked as I nodded. Truth was I never was going to be ready to start hunting my brother but it was the only way to find him. Finding him puts him at risk but he's at greater risk without me.
---
We drove all night before making a stop in New Orleans.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked as he got out.

"He's been here before," Chad said as I jumped out of the car magical knife in hand. If push came to shove I would snap Chad's neck to save my brother.

"Chad do you think they are dangerous?" I asked softly hoping to gauge his thoughts.

"I don't care I'm following orders," he said tying my stomach in a knot.

"It matters to me," I said firmly. "Like if they told me to kill you I would want a good reason."

"But we don't know the Gemini Lycans so does it really matter?" He demanded giving me a harsh glare. He turned walking into a bar. I took a breath following him inside. I looked around relieved my brother wasn't here. I froze as the thought hit me that it's the middle of the day he would be in school. I was let out of school because I was taught by my parents.

"Miss do you know a boy named Josh? You look a lot like a kid I used to know," the bartender asked as I faced him. I glanced over and saw Chad wander into the back hallway.

"Is he seventeen?" I asked as he nodded. "Where is he now?"

"He moved to California with his parents," the bartender said to me.

"Nope I don't think I know him," I lied before following in the direction Chad went. I found him in the back parking lot. He spun facing me quickly.

"The trail is old," he said as I nodded.

"Now where?" I asked my heart racing at the thought he might not be able to track my brother.

"We should figure out who used to frequent here and try to find them by name," he said walking back inside. I rushed to catch up hoping the bartender wouldn't say anything.

"You're back?" The bartender said as I smiled.

"Couldn't stay away," I smirked as Chad stood next to me.

"We are looking for someone who used to be here a lot but doesn't come anymore. Do you have anyone that you know who fits that?" Chad asked as I bit my lip.

"There is Josh Rowen who moved to San Diego California and Fred Stevens who lives in Dallas Texas," the bartender said putting me slightly at ease.

"Thank you sir," I smiled as Chad walked away rather rudely. I followed him getting into the car.

"So we are closer to Texas we should head that way," he said as I nodded.

"Makes sense," I said my hope filling my chest. He was going to search Dallas while my brother is safe in San Diego. "Dallas is big how will we find him?" I asked softly.

"Don't worry we will," he said as I held the knife. I looked at the blade knowing it could give my identity away with one poke. It could also end my brother's life once we finally found him. I thought over a million ways to save my brother and they all result in me killing Chad who seemed to be a soldier following blindly. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"You'd need more than a penny for my thoughts," I said before we burst out laughing.

"Come on beautiful I don't bite unless it's a full moon," he smiled as I faced him. I felt the truth bubbling up as I took a breath ready to lay it all out there.

"It's just I was thinking about my mom," I said unable to just tell the truth. It was hard being honest when being honest could get you killed.

"I lost my mom in a fight with another pack," Chad said taking my hand in his. "I'm here if you want to talk." I looked up into his eyes my breath catching in my chest. My mouth parted slightly as I felt the crackle of passion floating between us. This was going to make things more complicated. I felt connected to Chad somehow but I quickly looked away a blush creeping across my cheeks. I hoped this feeling was just a stupid crush. I pushed the thought of Chad from my head in an effort to protect my brother.

"So you hungry?" He asked kindly.

"Yeah let's stop here," I said pointing at a small restaurant. We got out walking toward the building. Chad rushed ahead opening the door for me. "Thanks." We walked to a table in the corner sitting across from each other. I picked up the menu finding my favorite, chocolate chip pancakes.

"What can I get you?" The waiter smiled at me.

"Chocolate chip pancakes with a glass of milk," I said before he faced Chad.

"A bacon cheeseburger with French fries and a cup of coffee," he smiled as we handed our menus over. I sat there looking everywhere but Chad. "Sapphire is something wrong?"

"No why?" I asked looking up into his eyes. I felt myself getting lost in them.

"Nothing is wrong. You can't even look at me," he said as I gasped.

"I like you okay!" I screamed louder than I should have.

"I like you too what's the problem?" He laughed as I felt my insides fighting each other.

"It makes thing more complicated," I whispered with tears filling my eyes.

"Why?" He asked as I sighed.

"I can't tell you," I said as the food arrived. We sat there and ate our meals in silence. Now what was I supposed to do?