7: Answers

3rd POV

"Tell them the truth, Nagisa-kun."  

Nagisa, Kayano, and Nakamura swerved around to see Karma standing there, his face contorted in such a way that it seemed he was attempting to hide his rage under his normal bored expression.

"It was your mother again, wasn't it?" Karma snarled.

Nagisa froze.

"H-How do you remember that?" He muttered, stuttering slightly.

"What? You think I'm going to forget about your psychopathic mother!" Karma raised his voice.

"Nagisa...?" Kayano looked over at Nagisa with concern.

"Don't try to hide it anymore Nagisa-kun. If you don't tell them I will." Karma glared.

"That's not your place!" Nagisa yelled.

"It is, Nagisa-kun! She's a monster!"

"No! She's my mother! Not your's!"

"That doesn't matter!"

"Yes it does! Why do you even care anyways!?"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE MY FRIEND, OKAY?!" Karma screamed at the top of his lungs. Nagisa's breath hitched in his throat, his eyes glossing over with tears brimming at the edge.

"If you were my friend you wouldn't have left me all alone back in 1st year. You knew you were my only friend, and you just left! What kind of a friend does that?!" Nagisa screeched before running deeper into the forest, Kayano following close behind.

Karma hung his head down in shame.

"So that's what you did, huh." Nakamura turned to the redhead.

Karma didn't respond.

"Tell me what happened, Karma-kun." Nakamura ordered.

"I already told you... I ran away from whatever was inside Nagisa-kun..." Karma admitted quietly.

"What is so scary about Nagisa that makes you run away!"

"I THOUGHT HE STABBED ME!"

Nakamura stopped.

"Stabbed... you...?" She repeated questioningly.

"Yes! He poked my side and I could have swore he ran a knife through me! I thought he was going to kill me!" Karma yelled.

"You really are clueless, huh." Nakamura laughed pathetically.

"Clueless?"

"You don't see how much Nagisa looks up to you, how his eyes light up when he hears your name, and how he would do just about anything to get back the friendship you two had. Now you keep going and leading him on, just to let him run away. Some role-model you are." Nakamura huffed before walking out of the forest.

Karma stood rooted in place, trying to filter his wild thoughts, which were running around in his mind like a wildfire.

After a while he just gave up the useless attempt to clear his mind, opting to go back to the classroom.

Time Skip

Nakamura pulled Kayano outside where they could chat alone.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Nakamura asked. Kayano nodded.

"Nagisa needs someone, and if my suspicions are correct, that someone needs to be Karma."

"Exactly. Now, how are we going to go about this?"

"Start with more recon. I'll monitor Nagisa, you monitor Karma-kun. See if we can dig up any repressed emotions."

Nakamura nodded, and the pair parted ways.

Meanwhile, Nagisa was on his way to the park. Today was one of those rare days his mother had decided to allow Nagisa an hour between school and the time he was expected home. 

Nagisa walked up to an ice cream stand.

"One blue- no, wait, one strawberry please." Nagisa revised his usual order. The tender behind the stand nodded and gave Nagisa the frozen treat after he paid.

"Thanks." Nagisa murmured as he licked the strawberry cream and sat down on a bench to collect his thoughts.

"He still calls himself my friend? After he left me back in first year? Why did he even do that? Did I do something wrong?" Nagisa pondered.

"It's not like I don't want him and I to be friends... I just thought he'd given up on that."

"Hey! Nagisa!" Kayano's chipper voice pulled Nagisa from la-la land.

"Oh! Hey Kaede!" Nagisa smiled as he threw the remainder of his treat in the trash.

"Fancy seeing you here Nagi." Kayano smiled, using a nickname.

"N-Nagi!?" Nagisa exclaimed in shock.

"What? D-Do you not like it...?" Kayano feigned sadness.

"N-No! It's just surprising, that's all." Nagisa tried to console the greenette, pulling her down to sit on the bench with him.

In the bushes, a little ways away, a certain blonde had taken a specific sadist to watch the show.

Plan "Get the Friends Back Together" was a go.