31: Contacts

(A/N) Sorry if it's short and there are mistakes-- I've been super busy with school and just barely managed to finish this chapter at all (I literally wrote it right before publishing, which I usually never do).

--------------------------

Karma brought Yumi into a hug, rubbing soft circles onto her back.

"We'll get her back, Yumi. Don't worry, we've got the best on our side." Karma whispered soft words into her ear, trying to calm her down.

Nagisa was silently cursing himself for straight-out killing the men that attacked his family, because if he hadn't, he might have been able to interrogate them and get information. Who knew what they knew.

Knowing Takaoka, it was unlikely too much thought went into his backup plan. It was surprising he had even considered his defeat in the slightest, after the first two times. The first attack his cockyness was expected- he merely saw Nagisa as an androgynous boy at 159 centimeters-- hardly a threat. Hell, the only person who saw Nagisa a threat at that time had been Karma, and even the redhead hadn't been fully sure what exactly about Nagisa had put him on edge, just that there was something. After his win against Takaoka his classmates understood his natural talent. Nagisa was glad Karma hadn't been there to watch. The two of them weren't romantically involved yet... Nagisa didn't know if seeing that side of Nagisa come out would be enough for Karma to sever whatever thin strings remained tying them together.

Nagisa swallowed thickly, shaking his head to get his thoughts back on track.

"I'll contact my... colleges. See if any of them were called and offered this job." Nagisa noted.

"What chance is there that they'll tell the truth? You hardly even tell me much about your jobs." Karma asked.

"Fear factor. Someone in the network calling your personal phone and having my name is bound to get them to spill. Silver-sensei used that tactic every so often. In our world, if someone has your real name and contact, they basically own you. That's why my line is called the "God"- we have nearly everyone's name, and anyone new is quickly found." Nagisa explained. Karma gave a nod.

"I'll take Yumi back to our place while you do that. I'll also call some connections I have to see if they know anything. A little money should get them to spill their secrets."

"Alright- be careful not to reveal too much."

"What do you take me for?"

Nagisa smirked and gave Karma a quick kiss before vanishing.

Karma helped Yumi stand.

"I'll take you to the car, alright Yumi?"

Yumi weakly nodded and the two walked over to one of Karma and Nagisa's cars- a more simple one for them to not attract too much attention when they went out.

Yumi took a seat in the back while Karma drove them home.

Once they made it, Karma brought Yumi to one of the guest rooms. "Why don't you take a nap, I'll make us some food."

Yumi merely sat on the bed before Karma left, shutting the door softly. He made some quick soup before bringing it back upstairs and quietly setting it on the bedside table for when Yumi woke up.

After that, he returned to his office where he kept his work phone. He decided to start with the more shady people he knew- ones that might have been more willing to help someone who didn't like him. The enemy of your enemy is your friend, after all. Even if Takaoka's target was Nagisa, the fact Karma also would be harmed might be enough for them.

Karma swung his legs up onto the desk as he put the phone to his ear.

"Hello Sazuko-san, care to chat for a bit?"

-------------------------------------------------------

Nagisa hissed slightly as the third contact came up with nothing. He decided to start with his dissenters, people who weren't fond of his place in the hierarchy. Even if they were the most likely to have information, they also were the hardest to get to spill without him physically being there. He even had to remind one of the men that he knew his address. That wasn't very fun, especially with how that specific assassin went silent for two full minutes after that before snapping out of whatever trance he was in and spilling what Nagisa wanted to know.

He mentally crossed that name off his list.

On to the next call. The next three promised to be nicer, as he had the pleasure of meeting them in person before he was a true assassin, and he knew they had good hearts. He wasn't as worried about them not telling him what he wanted to know. He wouldn't even be surprised if they already knew his name.

After four rings, the receiver picked up.

"Hello Grip, long time no see."