36: Reunite

Yumi pulled Misui close as the screams of the men around them finally died down.

Nagisa smiled warmly before placing his head onto Karma's chest, Karma's arm wrapped firmly around his waist.

Grip tossed a knife over towards Yumi, who skillfully caught it by the handle and severed the ropes rubbing marks onto Misui's fair skin.

Once free, Misui threw herself into her wife's arms, sobbing with all her heart.

Nagisa felt tugs at his heart, a conflicted expression making its way onto his face.

Karma's golden eyes locked onto that, seeing the doubt swirling in Nagisa's slitted blue eyes, yet to return to their normal dimensions after the fight and his liberal use of his serpent side.

"Nagi. This wasn't your fault. Takaoka is the mad man, alright? Don't keep thinking about this like you're the one at fault. If you hadn't done everything that you did, he would have killed. It wasn't your fault back on the island in E Class, and it's not your fault now." Karma chastised.

Nagisa ducked his head down before putting himself directly into Karma's chest, instead of the side hug they had been in until that moment. Karma mirrored the soft petting Yumi was doing for Misui on Nagisa's blue hair, hoping to calm his husband just like she was calming her wife.

Misui's sobs had since died down into silent tears streaming down her face. Yumi took the chance to lead Misui into a standing position, slowly leading her out to the car Karma had called for.

Misui collapsed into the car while the rest slowly followed, making sure to give her some space. The car was large, as expected of an Akabane vehicle, but inconspicuous so they wouldn't have to deal with unwanted eyes.

By the time they had made it back to the Akabane manor, Misui had fallen asleep and Karma took it upon himself to carry her up to one of the guest bedrooms while Nagisa worked on getting some warm drinks for everyone else.

They had a lot to talk about.

Nagisa set the tea on the coffee table before sitting next to his husband on the couch. Yumi and Grip each sat on separate chairs around the room.

"So." Nagisa started. "Queen Mab?"

Both Yumi and Grip exchanged a look and a quiet chuckle.

"Yeah, used to call Yumi that. Back when she was in the business." Grip explained, fondness underlying his tone.

"How many years ago was that? Nearly two decades wouldn't it be?" Yumi chuckled.

"Yeah, sounds about right." Grip nodded.

"I remember you mentioned that Yumi was your apprentice back at the base. Care to elaborate on that? And Karma, you also need to explain what you meant by "where she went after" without finishing your sentence." Nagisa directed. Karma sighed and snuggled into Nagisa's side before speaking.

"Back when we were little... You know how my parents were. Yumi's weren't any better- I'd say they were even worse in a way. They were actually around to make her be someone she wasn't..." Karma murmured.

Yumi nodded. "I was... well... I was born male, like all my brothers. But I was about five when that started feeling wrong and... well my parents liked the idea of a daughter for the appeal of femininity so they accepted me but only if I fit their perfect definition of feminine. I was a girl back then but I wasn't into the frilly dresses and restricting clothes, nor the whole makeup thing. But I thought being a frilly girl was better than a boy, so I went along with it. Not many people knew me back then so it was easy to just pretend I had been a girl the whole time. At eighteen though... I was done. I was old enough to live on my own so I ran away. Held down a job in the sketchier part of town and got wind of Grip. I managed to find his base so I asked him to teach me to protect myself. Help me get some... peace of mind, so to speak." Yumi explained.

Grip chuckled at that. "Finding my hideout is a bit of a stretch. You cornered me at a bar Queen Mab."

Yumi rolled her eyes.

Nagisa's eyes flitted from person to person.

"Did something happen between you two?" He asked.

Both flushed red.

"Y-Yeah... Short fling back then. Didn't get too far. I cut it off once I left the biz and met Misui soon after. I was still a bit nervous with my body at the time but she really helped me." A warm smiled bloomed on Yumi's face as she talked about her wife.

"I remember when you finished the last job and finally had enough for that surgery. You lit up like a Christmas tree." Grip commented.

Yumi chuckled nostalgically. "Yeah."

A small yawn came from Karma's lips before he buried his head into Nagisa's neck.

"Well it looks like my Karma is getting sleepy. We should probably get to bed and check on Iyuka. Both of you are free to stay the night, we have plenty of guest rooms."

"Thank you, but I believe I should be getting back to my base of operations. Some of my underlings might get ideas if I'm away for too long." Grip commented. Nagisa nodded, understanding the plight of assassins who had underlings but didn't have the fear factor behind their name to keep those who work for them in line.

"Alright. If you ever need help just give me a call." Nagisa smiled. Grip nodded.

"You two have matured well from your middle school days. I'll call you when I'm ready for that fight, Akabane Karma." Grip said.

Karma lifted his head and smirked. "Ready whenever you are."

Grip chuckled lowly before waving and leaving through the front door.

Yumi stood up and stretched before moving to the usual guest room where she expected Misui had been placed.

"Good night you two. And... thank you for not letting me fight this alone." She murmured.

"Of course. We're family."