Chapter 16, Part 1

Ariella's P. O. V:

I stand beside Merlin in the arena as we watch Arthur and his opponent kick their horses into a fast gallop toward each other, while they're gripping blunt lances in their hands.

They're preparing for an upcoming jousting tournament, a competition that involves two knights galloping toward each other at break neck speed and striking each other with fake lances in order to knock the opponent off

They're preparing for an upcoming jousting tournament, a competition that involves two knights galloping toward each other at break neck speed and striking each other with fake lances in order to knock the opponent off. Eric is also practising for the tournament.

I feel excitement as Arthur and his opponent approach each other. Once they meet in the middle, Arthur's lance hits his opponent in the side of the head, knocking him clean off his grey horse and he hits the sand.

Merlin and I heave sighs as we head over to help Arthur.

We say in unison, as I take the lance from him, "That has got to hurt!"

Lifting up his helmet visor, Arthur snips, "That's the point, Merlin, Ariella. It's not a pillow fight. Fetch me another lance, will you?"

I give Arthur an exasperated look as Merlin and I go over to the rack of lances. I set the broken one down while Merlin hands Arthur the new one. We both watch as the knights charge at each other. When the sunlight reflects off of the other knight's lance , Arthur is forced to turn his head away, allowing for his opponent a clear pass to the other end of the arena.

When Arthur stops Torrento, he thrusts his spear down and rips of his helmet, whirling towards Sir Leon, his opponent. I hold the horse's reins and gently stroke his forelock. Eric and the other knights, standing by their horses, watch as the prince demands, tone frustrated, "Why did you pull out?! I was wide open! You could've unhorsed me!"

"I was fearful I might injure you, Sire," Sir Leon tells him sincerely.

Arthur says, "You had the advantage! You can't afford to hesitate!"

"I wouldn't have done were I facing a different opponent. You are the future king, My Lord."

Blinking his eyes a few times, Arthur asks in realisation, "You jousted against me in the tournament last year. Are you saying you let me win?"