Chapter 54, Part 2

Ariella's P. O. V:

After the strange encounter, I help Merlin make a grave sight for the sorcerer, building a small pile of stones, while Arthur and Mordred leave.

Suddenly, a twig snaps, causing Merlin and I to whip our heads around to see Mordred standing there, a hand on the hilt of his sword.

"What would the King say? Sorcerers are not permitted marked graves," He states. Merlin and I place our last stones on the sight before we rise to our feet, turning to face the Druid boy as he comes up to us. "It's alright, Merlin, Ari. I'd have done the same. He is one of us, after all."

As Mordred gazes at the pile of stones, I gaze at him as I whisper, "It won't always be like this

As Mordred gazes at the pile of stones, I gaze at him as I whisper, "It won't always be like this. One day we'll live in freedom again."

Mordred meets my gaze as he asks, "Do you really believe that?"

I reply truthfully, "I do."

"So do I," Merlin agrees, causing Mordred to glance at him.

Mordred says as he glances between both of us, "Until then, we go unmarked in death as in life."

Mordred gives us a slight smile.

🗡🗡🗡

Later that night, I help Merlin tend to Gwaine's and Elyan's wounds they'd revived when they encountered Osgar earlier, a fire flickering before us. Their shoulders were mostly swollen from having been thrown against trees.

"The swelling should go down in the morning," I tell the brunette, squeezing his uninsured shoulder.

"Let's hope so," He groans.

We stand up and go back to the fire, with me sitting next to Sir Leon. He offers me a cup of water, which I accept.

"How is he?" Arthur asks as Merlin goes to poke the fire. The King is lying back on his elbows near me.

"With a bit of plythosisis, they'll make a full recovery," I reply.

Mordred tells us, "You're both skilled Physicians, Merlin, Ari."

"We learned from Gaius, that's all," Merlin responds as we glance at the Druid boy.

"They also make a very fine breakfast, as you'll soon discover, eh, Merlin, Ari?" Arthur says, glancing between us. I roll my eyes as I take a swig from my cup and Merlin stiffens, as though in exaggeration. "Now I've offended them!" Arthur whispers, causing Mordred to chuckle. "Come, Merlin, Ari, warm yourselves. Have a drink." That last part was directed at the warlock. The blonde male says as we clink our cups together, though I was less enthusiastic than the men, "To young Mordred, on his first successful mission!"

"It was nothing," Mordred says bashfully, chuckling slightly.

"It was timing and vigilant," Arthur says. "Merlin?"