Chapter 18, Part 3

Ariella's P. O. V:

Merlin, Arthur and I stay hidden in some bushes outside of Hengist's fortress. Night has fallen and it was very windy, the full moon shining brightly above us.

 Night has fallen and it was very windy, the full moon shining brightly above us

I say as Arthur nods in agreement, "We'll have to scale the walls."

Merlin murmurs hopefully, "Maybe there's another way in?"

Arthur says sarcastically, "Why don't you go knock on the front gate? I'm sure if you ask nicely, they'll hand Guinevere over to you."

Arthur and I step out from behind the bushes as Merlin lingers for a moment, before he catches up. We get to the wall, and after Arthur and I remove our gloves, the three of us start climbing.

I've never really done this before in my life—at least, not as long as I can remember, and my arms tremble, though only slightly, as I haul myself up the wall, my fingers digging into the stone. I was grateful to all those years of training.

I was pretty much next to Arthur right now, after sometime of climbing, and we look back at Merlin. He struggles a little bit but manages to find a handhold. Arthur groans, "You really are completely useless, aren't you, Merlin? Even the Princess is better at this than you!"

"It's..." Merlin gasps when his hand slips slightly, but regains his grip. "... It's harder than it looks." Arthur rolls his eyes before continuing. I spare Merlin an encouraging smile before I follow my fiancée. "Oh! Now, you're both just showing off!"

I hear Merlin grunting as he resumes climbing.

Merlin, Arthur and I eventually make it to the top and over the walls, before sneaking inside. We hang back around a corner and peer out to see a couple of guards looking bored and playing a board game.

Arthur tells us in a whisper, "You and Ari distract them. I'll knock them out."

Merlin asks in a confused tone, "How do we distract them?"

Arthur looks thoughtful as he puts his arm around Merlin's shoulders and leans in to whisper to him, only to shove Merlin out first, before shoving me out after him, making my blue eyes jerk wide as we stagger down the steps. Merlin grabs my arm and holds me back just as the guards swivel their heads to us in surprise.

The first guard, a balding man on my left, demands as they both jump to their feet and he reaches for his sword, "What are you two doing there?"

"Nothing!" We both say as both men unsheathe their weapons and Merlin drags me with him further into the room, facing the guards. I become weary when they both get hungry, lustful looks in their eyes as they focus on me. I shudder.

I put on a fake, happy smile as I say sarcastically, "Good evening gentlemen! Having fun playing games when you should be on guard duty? You never know who might slip past! If you'll excuse us, my friend and I will be on our way."