Chapter 19, Part 2

Merlin's P. O. V:

After I'd investigated Lady Catrina's bed chambers, almost got caught by Jonas, and then told Gaius what I'd seen, I went on with my chores for Arthur.

I was brushing the horse I ride while in Camelot, Arthur and Eric with me, when we hear laughter from across the courtyard. Eric is here to wait for his sister to return from her ride, as well as because he was with Arthur at the time. Arthur rolls his blue eyes when we look up to see Uther helping Lady Catrina off her horse, both of them laughing.

Even Eric rolls his eyes.

"Honestly! Look at them!" Arthur says in exaggeration, frowning, as he gestures to his father and Lady Catrina.

I hear Uther asking Catrina if she's alright, and she responds that she is.

Eric stands behind Arthur on the horse's other side, as I ask, "Don't you think it's odd how quickly they've become so close?"

Eric glances to me at this, his brows furrowed. Arthur says flippantly, "There's nothing odd about that. My father's a wealthy and powerful man."

He pats the horse's side before turning around. However, he pauses when a beautiful, yet sweaty, palomino mare comes cantering up to us, ears pointed forward. Those in the way, scurry off to the sides to avoid being trampled.

Arthur sighs as he glances back at Eric and I, "And, speak of the devil, here's trouble!"

Ari halts Aurelia before Arthur, and smiles down at him. Aurelia's sides and flanks were coated in sweat, indicating she'd had a good workout.

Arthur asks Ari as he pats the mare's neck, "Had a good ride?"

"I did, thank you," She responds. "Arthur, I wanted to apologise for last night. How about we call a truce?"

I blink my eyes in surprise at this, and I glance at Eric to see he also looks surprised. Though he didn't have any idea what they're talking about.

Arthur smiles as he replies, "Alright, Ariella. I agree to your truce." He then holds out his arms, silently offering to help the Princess down from her saddle. I thought she was going to refuse, but then Ari swings her right leg over the mare's neck and braces her hands on Arthur's shoulders, and allows him to lower her safely to the ground, the hem of Ari's pink and white cloak sliding after her.

I had slowed my brushing to a stop as I watch them, seeing the Princess kiss Arthur's cheek. I feel there's a longing expression on my face as I watch the two royals. He says he'll see her later, and heads off into the castle.

Eric says to me, "I think those two might actually be starting to get along."

"You really think so?" I ask, glancing at him with a raised eyebrow. Eric just shrugs in response.

A guard goes to take Aurelia's reins and lead her to the stables, but Ari politely declines, saying she's fine doing it all by herself.

The guard smiles slightly at her and steps away as Ari leads her horse over to us.

"Good morning!" Ari says cheerfully, once she reaches us.

"Morning. What was that all about?" Eric asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, that? Well... I kind of kicked Arthur under the table last night, during dinner."

"Why?"

"He'd almost embarrassed me in front of Lady Catrina! I had to stop him somehow," Ari explains.

"Now I see," Eric murmurs in understanding.

Ari glances at me as she asks, "Merlin, did you find out anything this morning?"