Chapter 30, Part 3

Songs used:

You'll Be In My Heart by Glenn Close and Phil Collins from Disney's Tarzan.

Arthur's P. O. V:

I turn from my window at the sound of someone knocking on my door. When I call for them to enter, I was surprised to see it was Ariella.

"I came to see how you were doing," She says, approaching me.

"Of all the people, Ariella, you would know what it's like, to have a destiny from which you can't escape," I say, turning back to the window, a grim look on my face as moonlight pours onto it.

She sighs, "Destinies are troublesome things. I know all too well what it's like to have your whole destiny, every decision laid out before you. You feel trapped. Like your whole life has been planned out for you, and you've got no control over anything and, sometimes, you don't even know if your destiny is really the best thing at all."

Frowning, I look at Ariella. There's a distant look in her sapphire blue eyes and I could've sworn I saw a younger version of herself in them, looking sad and lonely...

I get the strange feeling she's not just referring to our past wedding...

"How come you're so knowledgeable?" I ask anyway.

"It's written about in all the stories I've read," She replies. "Everyone thinks that being a Princess is fun, when really, it isn't—not entirely. You're always being told what to do, where to go, what to eat, what to wear... every decision is made for you, and you don't get your own say in it. I can't let my own daughter have that kind of life, so I'm going to spoil her as much as possible, without her becoming selfish. Just as daddy had done for me."

There was that lonely look in her eye again as Ariella was speaking

There was that lonely look in her eye again as Ariella was speaking. I honestly never knew this part of her life. I'd always thought she'd had everything she'd ever wanted and was happy. But, now I see that's not entirely true. And I now understand why Ariella does the exact opposite of what a Princess does—half the time anyway. It's her way of rebelling against the rules and traditions set out for her. That's also why she seeks the sense of adventure so desperately, to escape the confines of the castle—and her role as a Princess. And that's also why she chose to marry Merlin, the man she truly loves, instead of me.

I turn to Ariella as I ask, "What would these stories tell you, if you were me? Should I marry her?"

"Do you really want my honest opinion, Arthur?" Ariella asks.

"Yes. I really do."

"I think you're mad. I think you're all mad. People should marry for love. Not convenience. I know I chose love over duty, and that, honestly, was the best decision I'd ever made." Here, a soft smile appears on the Princess's face, one she'd never given me before in the past. But, one I have seen her give Merlin. "And, Uther should've learned from last time, but if Uther thinks an unhappy king makes for a stronger kingdom, then, he's wrong. Because you may be destined to rule Camelot, but you have a choice. It depends on how you do it."