Chapter 29, Part 1

Ariella's P. O. V:

Wearing my armor, my pink dagger and sword strapped to my waist, Merlin, Arthur and I race at full speed through the forest, a huge group of bandits right on our heels, the trees blurring around us, our hearts racing against our run cages

We run on for a few more minutes, branched scraping at our clothes, until we duck down behind a low forest wall. I press my back to it beside Merlin, breathing heavily.

He asks, "Are they still after us?"

Peering over the top, Arthur grins as he replies, "I told you we'd outrun them!"

Merlin and I look as well, both of us uncertain. "You sure?" We ask in unison.

Arthur asks in exasperation, "Why is it neither of you trust me, Merlin, Ari?" At that moment, loud war cries sound from behind us. We look to see it was the bandits who were chasing us earlier. We exchange fearful glances before we take off running again, back the way we'd come. We jump down into a cluster of boulders and gaze around for an escape. "Come on, this way!"

Merlin and I follow Arthur as I yell, "Where are we going?!"

"Trust me!" Arthur shouts back, making Merlin and I feel exasperated.

The three of us run over a hill, but Merlin and I jerk to a halt as a huge wave of magic power rushes through us, making us gasp. I gasp, "Arthur!"

He pauses as he looks back at us and demands, "What are you doing?!" He grabs both our wrists as he drags us forward. "Come on!" We then resume running from the bandits. We come upon two huge statues of kings wearing crowns and holding swords in one of their hands, shields in the other, vines and moss covering them, and a log forming a bridge above the statues.

 We come upon two huge statues of kings wearing crowns and holding swords in one of their hands, shields in the other, vines and moss covering them, and a log forming a bridge above the statues

Merlin and I pause to gaze up at them. I was both awed and weary. I have a foreboding feeling about this place...

Merlin and I turn and follow Arthur in between the walls.

Merlin inquires as he walks behind me, "What is this place?"

I answer, now remembering the stories I've been told, and have read, "The Valley of the Fallen Kings." We walk down some naturally made steps carved into the earth. We see earthen faces protruding from the walls.