Chapter 50, Part 1

Ariella's P. O. V:

The next morning, in my light blue and white dress with the crescent moon and star jewellery set, my hair with two braids running down the sides of my head and the rest of my hair loose, Mira in a green dress with her hair in a ponytail, Jason in my arms, we stand next to Gwen and Gaius in the throne room as we wait for Sefa to be brought in.

Gwen had summoned me and told me she believes Sefa might be the traitor, so we'd organised for her to be brought here to talk.

The doors soon swing open and two guards drag Sefa inside, before throwing the brunette on her knees before us.

"What have I done?" She asks fearfully.

Gwen states, "The night before Arthur set out for Ismere, there was a meeting at the King's Privy Council. Did you hear what was said?"

"No, My Lady," Sefa denies.

"Yet, you were standing right outside the door," I note in a serious tone.

"I was bringing your supper," Sefa says to Gwen.

"Later that night, where did you go?" Gwen asks.

"Nowhere," Sefa says, shaking her head.

"Don't make this hard on yourself," I whisper pleadingly. "All we want is the truth. We all know you left the city through the southern gate." Sefa is looking anywhere but at us.

"Look at us," Gwen says sternly, causing Sefa to do so. "Do you deny it?"

"No, My Lady," Sefa says.

Gwen asks, "Who did you see?" She and I walk forward, but Mira hangs back. "You can tell us."

"You wouldn't understand," Sefa whispers.

"Who did you see?" My raised voice rings throughout the throne room.

Sefa finally answers, "My father. I saw my father."

Gwen asks, "And you'd told him what you'd heard?"

"He only wants what's rightfully his," Sefa says. "Were he a Physician or a warrior, his skills would be revered, but sorcery...! He deserves respect like any man!"

Gwen says harshly, "Respect is to be earned! It cannot be bought with blood. Your treachery cost the lives of many good men."

"I-I d-didn't mean to—"

"You have admitted your guilt. You leave me no choice, Sefa. By the laws of Camelot, I find you guilty of treason," Gwen says, causing Sefa to look up. I stare at Gwen in surprise, my heart clenching for the serving girl.

"No...!"

"I sentence you to death! Take her to the cells," Gwen orders the guards. They grab Sefa's arms before dragging her out of the throne room, as Gwen turns around and sits back down in the throne.

As I was making my way out of the castle that night, I turn at the sound of Leon calling me. "Ari!" I see him walking toward me with his wife, Naomi. The two had gotten married just last year, and Yue has started being Gwaine's girlfriend.

"Allow us to walk you and the kids home," Leon says. I nod and Naomi carries Jason while Mira grips my hand, her bow and quiver of purple tailed arrows in the other hand; they had been a gift to her last year from Arthur.

"You mustn't worry, Ari. Merlin will return," Leon tells me as we head down the path, the sun setting in the distance. "With Arthur."

"I know. I'm not that worried," I say. "Well, I am, but I know that Merlin always finds his way back home no matter what happens." We reach the house and I let Leon and Naomi enter as she sets Jason down. I then start dinner with Naomi's help.