Chapter 44, Part 3

Ariella's P. O. V:

Late that night, after putting Mira to bed, Merlin and I decide to follow Lancelot. As we found a corner, keeping at a safe distance, Lancelot sheathes his sword. When we reach the door, Merlin and I see Agravaine standing on the opposite bridge, with Lancelot.

"Everything is prepared," Lancelot was saying, making Agravaine nod. "Gwen is on her way to our destination as we speak."

Agravaine responds in a tone of approval, "You've done very well. The Lady Morgana will be very pleased with you."

Merlin tugs me back inside when Agravaine leaves and Lancelot comes back this way. We follow him through the halls and as he was about to pass through a set of doors, Merlin and I clasp our hands together and make Lancelot get thrown face first into the floor with our magic.

Merlin and I approach him but then Lancelot sweeps his foot around my ankles, making my eyes widen. Lancelot grabs me just before I could hit the floor and holds his sword to my throat, making Merlin freeze.

Merlin's eyes flash with anger, knowing he couldn't risk hurting me.

I stomp hard on the knight's toe and he hunches over slightly, but it was enough for me to get free. As I do, however, I look back at Lancelot just in time to see him swing the hilt of his sword, then a hard impact to my temple.

I grunt in pain as I collapse, then I hear Merlin begin to attack Lancelot out of anger, before I feel Merlin land slightly atop me when Lancelot hits his temple with his sword hilt—then nothing.

Sometime later, I hear grunting, and peel my eyes open to see Merlin just beginning to stand up. There's a massive throbbing in my left temple, and I hiss in pain as the pain hits me. My hand flies up to my temple as Merlin whirls to me.

"Ow, that really hurt!" I mutter. I meet Merlin's relieved eyes and remember that Lancelot had threatened to kill me before. "Lancelot... he... he tried to..."

Merlin shakes his head slowly as he helps me to stand, saying, "I know. He knocked me out just like you. I'm glad you're alright, Fireheart."

Merlin releases me but I sway violently when I try to take a step forward. Merlin wraps his hands around my slim waist, preventing me from falling on the floor.

Merlin gazes at me in concern and I nod my head before we continue on to the council chambers. By the time we get there, we see Lancelot as Gwen kissing each other, and Arthur and Agravaine were already there. Arthur's face was full of betrayal at the knight's actions, and he screams in rage as Arthur unsheathes his sword and charges at Lancelot.

Lancelot breaks away from Gwen to meet Arthur's sword with his own, emitting loud rings throughout the council chambers. The two men strike viciously at one another, Arthur's strikes fuelled by his rage.

Lancelot strikes low but Arthur spins as he deflects it. Arthur strikes at Lancelot's right side but he blocks it, and they exchange more vicious swings. Arthur elbows Lancelot in the gut before elbowing him in the face, knocking him over, and causing Lancelot's sword to fall from his hand.

Arthur shoves Lancelot away and pursues him when Lancelot rushes to the stone pillar. When Arthur swings his sword, it embeds into the side of the pillar. Lancelot grabs Arthur and hails him back, shoving him against the pillar behind him. Arthur's sword falls from his grip and he latches on to Lancelot, throwing him to the floor.

"Please...! Please...!" Gwen begs, her face twisted in shock and conflict.

Lancelot skids across the floor and snatches up his weapon before facing Arthur. When he goes to attack the King, Merlin and I clasp our hands and chant, "Ecg miss!" This causes Lancelot to drop his weapon as Arthur gets to his feet.