Chapter 18, Part 1

Ariella's P. O. V:

Eric and I stand off to the side as Arthur helps Morgana mount her bay horse, and he fixes her red cloak. He tells her, "I hope your trip isn't too upsetting." I notice the prince gazing after Gwen, who has paused in mounting her white horse, and is gazing back at Arthur. "Make sure you return before dusk."

"Yes, Sire," The knight at the front of the group responds before Gwen mounts her horse and they continue forward.

Morgana glances back and her eyes lock with Eric's. He gives her a small smile, before she looks ahead again.

I look up when Merlin comes jogging down the steps while carrying a shield that has arrows stuck in it, and a crossbow over his shoulder. He smiles at me which I return, but Eric is busy gazing after the green eyed woman. I notice he hasn't taken his eyes of her once.

I nudge his side gently, causing the brunette to glance at me as I murmur, "Don't worry. She'll be fine." Eric barely glances at me as he nods once.

Merlin asks Arthur, "Where are they going?"

"Morgana's on a pilgrimage to her father's grave," Arthur explains, taking the crossbow from Merlin as he sets the shield down.

I go with the males as they head for the training field for target practise, as I'd also wanted to train.

🗡🗡🗡

Later that evening, I stand next to Merlin and Arthur in the throne room when Morgana's party hasn't returned yet.

Arthur was saying to his father, "Morgana's party hasn't returned to Camelot. There's no sign of her anywhere." I glance at Eric to see worry glinting in his dark eyes.

Uther orders, "Send riders to the outline villages." Arthur nods. "I want every guard, every sentry, looking for her."

"I'll dispatch them immediately," Arthur says before we disperse to get ready for the search.

I ride Aurelia in between Merlin's horse and Hugo as we ride down a trail in the forest, trying to find any clues for Morgana's whereabouts. And Gwen's. We come to a stop when we see all of Morgana's guards lying prostrate on the ground.

Arthur orders as he dismounts, "Check to see if there's anyone alive!"

The rest of us dismount and Eric goes over to Arthur when he pulls a sword out of the ground next to a fallen knight. I follow Merlin as Arthur murmurs, "It's Mercian craftsmanship."

My eyes widen when we see an arrow sticking out of a knight's back, a letter stick to it. Merlin and I say in unison, "Arthur." He and Eric turn to us as we crouch and Merlin pulls it off the arrow. I read it over his shoulder, my eyes widening further.

I say, "It's a ransom note! They've taken Morgana hostage."

Eric says as he points to his right, "The tracks lead off this way!" They all unsheathe their swords, and I do the same as Merlin and I straighten up, following after them.

We walk cautiously through the trees, looking for any more signs, but we pause upon hearing a branch snapping in the distance. Arthur swaps his sword for a crossbow as the rustling draws near. Eric, a crossbow in his own hand, and Arthur rush forward and hide behind trees, preparing to attack the possible enemy.

More rustling, and the wait a moment longer before both princes give each other a nod and jump out from behind their trees, crossbows aimed. They didn't fire, however, because the person in front of them, dressed in nothing but her undergarments, was the Lady Morgana, dark hair falling from her braid and disheveled from running through the trees. There's also a nasty cut on her left eyebrow, blood dripping down past her eye, and another wound on her chin.