CHAPTER TEN

YOSHIKO WATCHED as Heath coughed up blood. Her vision and presence began to turn normal after seeing such.

I can't believe I wanted to kill...

"Yeah well, you should,"

You're not helping.

"Hey. I never said I was,"

"L-Lord Heath..." A mage stuttered.

"Did we get him?" Noelle asked.

No... We didn't!

Yoshiko ran towards Asta in hopes to take the blow herself.

"Your sword may be able to negate magic but you're still just a normal human," He said. Then he got ready a spell. "Now it's my turn!"

Asta was ready for the impact but it never came. Instead, he saw Yoshiko in front of him, arms out taking the blow. The ice pierced her body, blood coming out the wound and her mouth as she started falling back. Asta caught her in time.

"A freak protecting others...?" Heath asked. "So you do have some human traits,"

"Yoshiko!" Asta shouted. "Come on... Use your magic to heal yourself!"

"Mh..." Yoshiko hummed opening her grimoire.

[Winter Recovery Magic: Winter Wonderland Euphoria]

A bed of snow surrounded her with her wound turning white slowly regenerating. Asta sighed in relief.

"That's some tremendous magic," Heath complimented. "It looks like I'll be able to make an entrance for one!"

He used his magic to open a bit of the water barrier but stopped when a layer of ice covered his hand and the dome. He looked back to see Yoshiko and Asta. Yoshiko's wound still hadn't healed up but she was using another spell to prevent Heath from reaching the villagers.

That girl... If I don't get rid of her first, I'll never finish.

"You seem to enjoy wasting my time don't you, freak? That will cost you!" Heath said.

Asta blocked his way. His sword was up.

"If you're going to kill Yoshiko, you'll have to kill me first!" Asta declared.

"So be it. But should you really be protecting that freak? She's a subhuman," Heath said.

"I don't care! Yoshiko's more human than you at least!" Asta yelled.

"So be it. Die protecting the subhuman," Heath said.

He used his magic to pierce Asta. He flew back a bit but then got right back up.

"Not done yet!" He shouted.

"I'm surprised you're alive after that attack. But you can't swing your sword well with those injuries," Heath said hitting him again.

"Not done yet!" Asta yelled.

"Stubborn little-!"

"Asta..."

"Not done yet..."

"You can't win this. Why are you trying to protect a freak like her?" Heath asked.

"You don't know. What she's been through. She nearly died after she lost her voice. She was attacked by someone. Then she disappeared for three months... And then when she returned, she couldn't even smile! And at that moment I realised, that the promise we made, wasn't just a promise..." He started.