CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

YOSHIKO CONTINUED to watch in awe as the mysterious girl sang. She picked up the smell of honey and lavenders.

This smell...

"It's song magic,"

Oh! So song magic smells like lavender?

"Yes,"

Yoshiko nodded. Her nose also picked up on the sea while her ears picked up on two heartbeats. Asta and Noelle.

She quickly - but silently - made her way to them. When they came into her view, she tackled them into a hug.

"Y-Yoshiko!" Noelle said in a hushed whisper.

"Oh! Yoshiko! We're you here training too?" Asta asked.

She let go and shook her head with a small frown.

"Why not? It's not like you to slack off," Noelle asked.

Yoshiko sniffed the air. Noelle was genuinely concerned.

Yoshiko took out her notebook but then she put it back and instead signed.

Mr. Asgorath said my body needs time before I can train properly again. Yoshiko signed.

The two made an 'o' mouth shape.

"It's because of what happened after he took over your body, right?" Noelle asked.

She nodded.

Noelle sighed and patted her head.

"Don't try to push yourself. You'll only get hurt," she said. "N-Not that I care!"

Wait... Yoshiko thought.

Noelle, you know sign language?! Yoshiko signed.

"H-Huh?" Noelle asked. Then, she coughed. "Of course I do! I wouldn't be a royal if I couldn't,"

That's amazing!

"Hmph! I already know that. I don't need a little girl like you to tell me,"

But we're the same age... Yoshiko thought.

Yoshiko sniffed the air again. Noelle was genuinely concerned for her. It made her happy.

"Anyway, that girl... I wonder if she's from Raquey?" Noelle asked.

The three stared at her.

The girl happened to notice them and Yoshiko waved.

"Eeeee! Did you hear that?! Gee, how embarrassing!" The girl said with her hands on her cheeks.

'Oh. That's not what I expected,'

The girl jumped down from the rock.

"Well, if you heard I guess there's no helping it! So let's grab this chance to be friends! I'm Kahano, who are you?"

"We're Noelle, Dorksta and Yoshiko," Noelle introduced.

"Noelle... Yoshiko and Dorksta! Those are unusual names!" Kahano said.

"No, don't buy that! She's obviously making fun of me!" Asta shouted.

Meanwhile, Yoshiko had sparkling eyes when she learned Kahano wanted to be her friend.

A new friend!

"What were you doing out here?" Noelle asked.

Those bubbles... were they magic?

"Special voice training!" Kahano answered. "I like singing here,"

"Special voice training?" Noelle asked as Yoshiko tilted her head.