CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

FOR THE NEXT few days, Yoshiko stayed in Hiruko's room. Her fever had already gone down but Yoshiko didn't want to leave yet. Ryuko tried to take her back to her squad but Yoshiko clung onto Hiruko so he just left her.

"Come on, Yoshiko! You're entire squad's waiting!"

"Hmph!"

"Maybe you should let it go, Ryuko. She's not going to let me go,"

And so, Yoshiko triumphed in what she wanted. She and Ryuko had a small glare off but Hiruko pulled them both by the ear so they stopped. Then Ryuko left and she was sitting in the bed, reading a book.

For the most part, Yoshiko didn't really like reading. It hurt her brain too much and she preferred if someone just told her everything. She also hated the idea of sitting in one spot for a while. She fidgeted a lot and grew restless.

Many times she got up and walked around the room. She was glad Hiruko never judged her for moving so much.

She also played chess with Rin. It was kinda fun expect she kept losing. Then Asgorath took over and he and Rin got into a heated argument so Yoshiko had to take back her control. She stopped playing chess after that.

Right now, Yoshiko was sitting by Hiruko's desk, watching him do some work. Unlike Julius, Hiruko finished his work before going off to do whatever. Marx, an assistant, never yelled at him because he actually did work.

"Stupid nobles...just get along," Hiruko sighed as he scribbled down on the paper.

Get along?

"Nobles of the Clover Kingdom are too prideful. They don't get along and because of that, it becomes a problem to the country,"

Yoshiko looks at Hiruko who moved the paper to the top of a small stack.

What sort of paperwork do you do? Yoshiko signed after tapping Hiruko.

"Hm?" Hiruko said. "Oh, just external affairs like relationships between kingdoms,"

What does that have to do with nobles?

"Some nobles are in charge of exporting magical items while others speak with kingdom officials. But some are idiots who get angry and jealous when they send one noble and not the other. And that causes problem which I have to deal with. Makes my life so difficult,"

Hiruko grabbed a mug and drank its contents. Yoshiko stared at the dark brown liquid. Hiruko noticed it and passes it to her.

"Do want some? It's coffee," he said.

Yoshiko nodded and took the mug. She drank a sip and her face scrunched. This...this was horrible! Worst than what Yuno liked! She managed to swallow it and stuck out her tongue. She glared up at Hiruko who laughed.

"Don't glare at me! You should have known coffee was bitter!"

"Usually, sugar, milk or cream is added to coffee but right now, it's just plain black coffee," Rin said.

"I like the taste. I don't really like sweets," Hiruko said.

Yoshiko looked at him like he was crazy. Hiruko ignored her and continued drinking his coffee.

-&-

Yoshiko followed Hiruko down the steps of the castle. She had a hold on his sleeve as they went further down the castle.

"Excuse me, sir. Where are we going?" Rin asked.

"Where we keep our... special guests," he said.