Arc 11 Educated Youth

Chapter 216.1 – Educated Youth (1a)

1975, Shangmu Village

Shangmu Village is a small village in the Water Town of Jiangnan.

It is located on the west side of a large river that flows into the sea. There is a small river winding through the village. The land is fertile and rich in water and grass. The people who live here have lived by farming and raising silkworms for generations.

It is the ninth month of the lunar calendar, and the weather is neither cold nor hot. The villagers in Shangmu Village are busy digging sweet potatoes.

Shangmu Village has always grown rice. Some land grows two crops a year, and some land grows one crop a year. In this rotation, the annual output of rice is still good, but most of the rice must be handed over to the public. There is no way to eat white rice all at once.

Therefore, the sweet potatoes dug today are especially important—they all rely on sweet potatoes to fill their stomachs!

Digging sweet potatoes is an individual task. Early in the morning, young adults in the village use iron rakes to turn over the ground where the sweet potato vines have been cut.

Gu Mingxiu was turning the ground.

He was very thin, but his strength was not small. As soon as he raked it down, a large piece of mud and many sweet potatoes were turned out.

The women in the village use their hands to pick up the mud blocks they dug out, find sweet potatoes from them, and throw them into the bamboo basket next to them.

Occasionally, they will see some big sweet potatoes being pierced by Gu Mingxiu's iron rake, and they will sigh: "Such a big sweet potato, it's a pity."

While talking, they threw the damaged sweet potatoes into another bamboo basket—such sweet potatoes can't be left for a long time, they have to be eaten quickly.

Gu Mingxiu kept turning the ground. The women followed him and other people who turned the ground to pick up sweet potatoes. Behind them, there were some children with runny noses, holding a basket and picking up what was dropped by the woman in front, some finger-sized sweet potatoes, or sweet potato roots.

These little sweet potatoes are full of "fiber", that is, coarse plant fiber, but they can fill their stomachs anyway, so no one is willing to waste it.

Moreover, the big sweet potatoes have to be handed over to the village chief to distribute them, but these small sweet potatoes can be taken home directly.

In order to get more sweet potatoes home, some women will let their children stay behind them, and then deliberately drop some bigger, egg-sized sweet potatoes, and those children's harvest will be much richer.

They are all village folks, and no one usually says anything.

As they were working, someone suddenly said, "Where's the educated youth? Not here again?"

Their village is next to a town, they have small land and more people. Not many educated youths came here, and most of them are relatives of the villagers. People in the nearby towns want to go to the countryside, and they all choose neighboring villages. Many of them went to live directly with their relatives.

But the educated youth is different. He came from Beijing two years ago.

That's the capital!

When he first came, the villagers were very curious, and they all went to see him specially, but now...the villagers are all afraid of him.