Chapter 9

"What do you think?"

"What?"

Lucas sneakily asked a question to Estin, who was thinking about something while sitting as if leaning on the back of an old-fashioned chair, with her chin resting on the armrests embossed with the shape of an eagle.

The question brought a stir like a stone thrown into a calm lake.

Despite the omission of the subject, Estin closed his eyes for a while after clearly grasping what Lucas was asking.

At that time, he felt it when he carried her out of the orphanage, the child was very small and light.

The small feet supporting the ground were even commendable to the point where I wondered how she could stand on a leg that seemed to break if he touched it.

Watching his three sons grow up before him, of course he was proud of them when they showed him that they deserved to be in the Conler family, but was there ever a time when he felt proud just by seeing them standing?

A child fluttering like a small petal brought a wave to Conler's mansion more than expected.

Is it because the child is too small?

Estin's expression, which had been thinking that much, seemed to loosened for a while, but it began to harden at a fast pace.

Like a stone thrown into a calm lake.

But why...?

His dark long eyelashes shaded the corner of his eyes, creating a mellow atmosphere.

Lucas, who was preparing for the meeting behind Estin, couldn't see his expression and jokingly talked again.

"Oh, are you avoiding answering?"

"I have no idea what you're asking about."

Estin responded with a voice that seemed to contain no emotions to Lucas' playful voice.

"Miss Mary."

"Well, she's cute."

"Right? Sometimes she really looks like a kitten."

Lucas trembled thinking about how cute Mary was talking back to him with a sulky expression.

It was regrettable that Mary couldn't show her rebellious stray cat side in front of Estin.

It would have been fun to see the duke flustered.

Well, she must have been embarrassed enough.....

Thinking about the meeting of the father and daughter earlier makes him smile anew.

It was the cutest and funniest meeting ever.

Lucas approached Estin, who pretended not to know anything, and brought up the story he wanted to tell the most.

"No, you were patting her head."

"If you're going to talk nonsense, just shut up."

Estin, who noticed Lucas trying to tease him, fixed his expression which had been relaxed for a while.

It was because as soon as Estin returned, Lucas said something while reporting Mary's recent status.

"Miss Mary is doing well in the mansion now. Maybe because Bonita took good care of him, her expression got brighter. She still seems like a cat who is wary, but these days, she doesn't say anything to me even if I pat her head. She has been a little friendly lately. At times like that she's like a tamed cat!"

He was just bragging about how close he became to Mary.

Mary didn't like to be touched except for Bonita, the maid who takes good care of her.