Chapter 96

Grand Duke Estin looked at the door where Mary had exited. Estin's attention was caught by Lucas as he spoke quietly next to him.

"You must be upset that your beloved daughter is stepping out with her fiancé."

"Fiance? They aren't even engaged yet."

Estin snorted in response. Demimore, in his opinion, was also a victim in this circumstance. No, but it was also true that when he saw his face, he was unable to control his expression.

Though Estin's expression is grave, it is not because Mary and Demimore went out.

"Should I act as though I don't know?"

"What?"

Estin was looking around the banquet hall. The reason was that negative energy was circling it. It was still his child's first birthday party, and he didn't want to ruin it by abruptly ending the celebration and sending the guests home.

His greed increased as he observed the child's joyful expression after receiving the gift.

He would have been ready if he had felt "something" but oddly, it was only faint energy. It was obvious that no one else could sense any energy at all if Estin could only sense this flimsy energy.

Before Mary left with Demimore, Estin quickly cast a protective spell on her in the hopes that all of this would be for nothing. Even though it's best to avoid any potential problems, they won't be too far from Estin's area if Mary suffers any harm.

"I'm sorry, Mary."

"It's okay,"

"What's the matter?"

I tried to smile at Demimore's apology. Astina asked, as if she sensed the strange atmosphere between Demimore and I. I shook my head. I didn't want to cause any worries.

No, it was actually embarrassing to say the truth.

Demimore and I are about to get engaged, but I got dumped before we even got engaged!

And maybe the reason is you; you may not be the reason right now, but you might be soon. I can't say that.

No, but...

If you don't want to get engaged, talk to your father, who pushed for the engagement. Why are you coming to me and making a fuss? Also on my birthday? I turned around and glared at Demimore because I was feeling a bit emotional. No, I don't like Demimore, but it still bothers me.

Am I being unreasonable to be so upset right now?

"Come on, let's go inside!"

"Mary."

"It's my birthday and I can't be away this long, can I? Both of you should congratulate me!"

I exaggerated my laughter and dragged them to the banquet hall.

Oh, yes. I have to answer Demimore. I don't want to put it off any longer.

"And Demimore."

"Yes."

"If that's what you want, do it. I'm fine with it."

Demimore appeared to be conflicted by what I said. Although I was aware that Demimore would love Astina, my pride was slightly wounded.

My fighting prowess, however, was diminished when I noticed Astina smiling broadly while holding my arm. What did the innocent child do wrong?

"Mary, happy birthday."

"Thank you."

"My birthday became the day I was adopted, and Mary's birthday is actually her birthday, so I'm really happy to celebrate your birthday."