Chapter 40

I'm standing in front of the library staring at the door.

It's a door I have been in and out of in Conler's castle many times, but today I'm feeling nervous.

"Phew...."

I came all the way here after inquiring about Gilbert's whereabouts because I felt like I had to apologize and thank him for what happened with Baron Bruno.

And as expected, Gilbert was in the library.

Is it fortunate that he's in the library that I'm a little familiar with? If Gilbert had been in his room, I probably wouldn't have been able to breathe.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the library door a couple of times.

It's the first time I've tried knocking while entering the library.

But no sound was heard inside the library. I thought he didn't hear the knock, so I put a little more force on my fist and knocked harder, then I put my ear to the door, but there was no response.

Is he not in the library?

The library isn't a place you use by yourself. It's a place anyone can use. Should I just go in?

I opened the library door as carefully as I could. The door opened with a dull sound.

"B, brother...."

I secretly called Gilbert as I entered the library, but there was no sign of someone inside the library.

There were a lot of books piled up in one place. Maybe Gilbert went out for a while while studying . I headed there carefully.

On the desk was a map of Conler territory. Lines were drawn in various colors as if he was weaving the shortest route that Rex said earlier. Seeing that there were many books related to the reclamation project, it seemed that he was continuing to study relevant things.

You're working really hard.

I didn't know you had to work this hard because you're already born as a Conler.

That's right... I'm Conler, but I can't express this ability and I don't have magic. Unlike any Conler, people aren't afraid to get close to me.

Yeah, I'm a bad girl, so I don't need any ability, do I?

I pursed my lips and looked through the books Gilbert used to read, they were difficult to understand because of my poor knowledge of the Imperial language.

Then I found a hardcover note in a luxurious leather case on the desk.

"What is this?"

Out of simple curiosity, I carefully opened the notebook. The part where the red string was inserted in the notebook unfolded right away.

Looking at the date...... It was like Gilbert's diary.

Oh, I can't look at things like this without permission.

Privacy and security are really important.

Still, I couldn't stop my curiosity.

I looked with a clouded eye on purpose. White things are paper, black things are letters.......

No, Mary.

Privacy is the most important thing between siblings.

I won't read it all, just the latest one..

All right, I compromised in my own way.

[Baron Bruno came to harm the children. If father was here, he could probably punish him properly. Why can't I resemble my father's wisdom and judgment? It bothers me that I said mean things to Bonita, too.]